Sign in to follow this  
Abakai2003

Where did Rodenbery get his Ideas?

I have been wondering for a while about where he got his insperation from and here is what I've come up with so far.

Now it is well known that Mr Rodenbery was very good friends with Isaac Asimov (credetied with creating the idea of robotics) and that Mr Asimov was Creative consultant on TMP. I am a bit of a fan of Mr Asimov's and have read quite allot of his books (not all as he wrote nearly 200 sci-fi allone) and I beleve that the consept of Data is the amalgamation of two of Asimov's charactors. first the basic charactor of Data seems to me to be based on Asimov's R. Daneel Olivaw. second the side of Data that wants to be human I think is based on Andrew Martin From the Bicentenial man. we know that the Positronic Brain is the creation of Asimov's and it is even mentioned that Dr Soong wanted to bring Asimov's idea to life.

But what realy got me thinking was last night I am reading Asimov's The Caves of Steel (His first full robot novel) and there was one line describing the Spacers and I wondererd if this could have been the blue print for a race we are all familiar with?

this is the line what do you think? Can you see where I'm coming from?

He didn't think that Fastolfe would act in haste or under emotional impulse.  He had read somewhere once that Spacers had no religion, but subsituted, instead, a cold and phlegmatic intellectualism raised to the heights of a philosophy

very interisting. have you found any other ideas that might conect to star trek? also, do you think that asimovs foundation trilogy or the robots books are better?

very interisting. have you found any other ideas that might conect to star trek? also, do you think that asimovs foundation trilogy or the robots books are better?

I have read all the Foundeation and Robot novels and I think they are as good as each other and heres why its spolered if you've not read Foudation and earth of the Foundation Prelueds )

Click for Spoiler:

they come Full circle in foundation and earth the heros return to earth and who do they find on the moon R. Daneel Olivaw allso in prelude to foundation and forward the foundation R. Daneel is Harry Seldons Adviseor. & in Robots and Earth Daneel mentions to R. Giskard the consept of Phyco history.