Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mj

A quiet moment to be shared:

This is the first time I believe I have begun a topic in Party Loco, because I usually do not share honors or awards received.

However this week I and two colleagues in my department received a wonderful thank-you e-mail from a recent graduate. The letter was a single letter addressed to all three of us, recounting various interactions with us, what it taught him, and how it moved him toward where he is today. To the head of advising in our department he recounted an incident where she lost her temper and dealt sternly with him. He said it taught

him that she cared about who he was as a person. He thanked a young professor who was his instructor in several courses, for the edcuation he received and for making learning fun. Of course my favorite remarks were to me, who was his academic adviser from his freshman year to graduation. He said , "Last but not least, to my loving Dr. X..." ( How did he come to understand how much and how deeply I cared about him? It ususally goes right past most students. And I care deeply about all of them.) He thanked me for guidance, regretted not taking any classes from me, was glad that he finally came to understand the way I was working with him, and thanked me and others for assistance in gaining employment, which to him was a further indication to him of our confidence in who he was.

We invest an enormous amount of time and effort in the students we teach, but most especially to our own majors. We do not tell them what they want to hear, but what they need to hear. One of our greatest joys is to watch our freshmen grow into mature, educated young adults. The letter we received from our graduate

is just like a shiny golden trophy to us, except it is made of warm living human feelings, not brass.

The young man ended his letter by saying "Thank you for helping me start my life."

This is what we try to do for each of our students. This is our life. This is our joy.