Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

If you didn't see it coming...

From ESPN.com:

Tice out: Vikings fire head coach after 9-7 campaignESPN.com news services

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minnesota Vikings became an embarrassment on Mike Tice's watch, with a ticket scalping scandal, the infamous lake cruise and a Whizzinator somewhere in between.

There weren't enough wins to cover up the ugliness, and now Tice is out of a job.

Owner Zygi Wilf fired Tice after Sunday's victory over Chicago capped a disappointing 9-7 season in which the Vikings, a trendy preseason pick to go to the Super Bowl, missed the playoffs.

The news wasn't a surprise, but the timing and manner in which it was delivered stunned the few players remaining in the stadium Sunday.

Several players and sources close to Tice told ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli that the dismissal came well after the coach had addressed his players and the media. Tice went to his small office near the home locker room at the Metrodome, where he was joined by Wilf and Wilf's brother Mark, a minority stockholder in the club, who apprised him of their decision not to renew his contract.

The dismissal also came after Tice had spent much of last week trying to have Wilf discuss his job status.

That Tice could not directly inform most of his players, many of whom had departed the locker room by the time the firing was announced, disappointed him.

A team executive issued a two-paragraph press release to reporters in the Vikings' locker room after most players had gone home.

Pro Bowl kick returner Koren Robinson had to compose himself before commenting, managing a "Whoa, that's crazy," while he read the statement at his locker.

"In the locker room? Right after a game you just won?" Robinson said. "Give the man respect enough to wait until Monday to enjoy the win at least."

Pro Bowl safety Darren Sharper crumpled up the release and threw it on the floor before declining comment and running back Mewelde Moore also tersely declined comment.

Tice, who compiled a 33-34 overall record -- including a 1-1 mark in the postseason -- had already addressed the media before the move was made public. Reporters waited for him long after the game was over, and the coach wore a good-natured smile and showed no bitterness about the way the situation was handled.

"It's a shame I'm not going to be able to work with the Wilfs," Tice said with moist eyes. "I think they're going to be top notch owners. ... I'm very proud with a lot of the things we've accomplished with the things we've been given to work with."

Tice was one of three NFL coaches to go following Sunday's games; Richard Vermeil announced his retirement in Kansas City, and a person close to the organization told The Associated Press that the Houston Texans planned to fire Dom Capers.

Tice's tenure was mostly marked by streaks and scandals.

A $100,000 fine was levied last summer against him by the league for scalping his Super Bowl tickets and running back Onterrio Smith was caught at the airport with a device designed to beat drug tests dubbed the "Original Whizzinator." But perhaps the biggest blow came with revelations of a wild boat party during the team's bye week this season that produced misdemeanor charges against four players.

Tice's Vikings were inconsistent on the field, prone to long winning streaks and big collapses. Minnesota started 6-0 in 2003 and 5-1 in 2004 before going 3-7 over the final 10 games of both seasons. After starting 2-5 this year, the Vikings won six straight, then lost two in a row to fall out of contention for the playoffs.

"After significant evaluation, we feel that now is the time to make a coaching change," Wilf said in the statement.

Wilf had said previously that Tice's job status would be discussed at the team's headquarters on Monday, but shortly before 7 p.m. central time, the release was issued. The owner was gone by then and he scheduled a press conference for Monday afternoon.

"It's the owner's decision," said quarterback Brad Johnson, as he left the stadium with his family. "It's a tough business, and I appreciate Mike and the way he treated me and the way he treated the team. I wish him greatness."

Tice has lauded the Wilf family for the support they've shown since purchasing the franchise from Red McCombs last summer. He also spoke glowingly of his 13 years in Minnesota, which began as a tight end in 1992 and progressed from tight ends coach to offensive line coach to a somewhat surprising promotion to head coach after Dennis Green was fired in January 2002.

"I don't know who was more shaken by it, him or me," Tice said of an emotional meeting with Wilf that happened after he spoke to the media about Sunday's 34-10 victory over the Bears.

"Of course I'm hurt. I'm a man, not a machine," Tice said. "I put a lot of time into this organization, and had a lot of good times, and some bad times."

His lone regret was that he had to call his wife, who was being asked about the rumors in the Metrodome parking lot, to inform her of the news.

"I would've liked to savor the victory," Tice said.

He exited the Dome with a smile on his face and his head held high, not knowing what the future holds. He has a son who will be a senior in high school next year and he said he will make a decision with that in mind first.

Asked if he will coach again, Tice paused before saying, "Yeah, if the right job comes up."

His immediate plans were a little clearer.

"Go home and let my wife cry on my shoulder, I guess."

Edited by Jim Phaserman

I heard about it a couple of hours ago.

As I am not a Vikings fan. I don't really have an opinion about it. Just hope Minnesota benefits from it somehow. I like to see the older franchises winning.

I heard to help get his mind off being Fired, he is gonan take a cruise ship to Detriot and Scalp some superbowl tickets for money

I heard to help get his mind off being Fired, he is gonan take a cruise ship to Detriot and Scalp some superbowl tickets for money

Oh wow...That's okay, though, Sherm got the ax, too up in Green Bay. I saw that one coming, too.

While I agree that a change was very likely, to fire a coach after he just WON a game againt a playoff bound team, a division rival, and to not let him directly address and say goodbye to HIS players, seems overly harsh and fairly TACKY. I went through an experience of leaving a job suddenly, and one of the worst parts was not being able to directly say goodbye to people who I'd worked with, in some cases, for twenty years. That STINKS imo and so does the way this was handled. Would it have hurt the organization to wait a day and let the team and coach savor a victory? I wouldn't want to work for an organization the treated someone like that, though I know such treatment has become more and more common.