Sign in to follow this  
Madame Butterfly

Chocolate May Cut Heart Disease

Chocolate may cut heart disease

The health claims of chocolate are not accepted by all

Researchers have produced more evidence that dark chocolate may help to reduce the risk of serious heart disease.

They found eating a few squares a day may stave off artery narrowing and hardening in smokers by countering the disruption caused by their habit.

Smoking compromises the activity of both endothelial cells, which line the artery walls, and platelets, which are involved in blood clot formation.

The research, by University Hospital, Zurich, is published in Heart.

The researchers compared the effects of dark (74% cocoa solids) and white chocolate on the smoothness of blood flow in the arteries of 20 male smokers.

Before eating 40g of chocolate, smokers were asked to abstain from other foods rich in beneficial antioxidants, such as onions, apples, cabbage, and cocoa products for 24 hours.

After two hours, ultrasound scans revealed that dark chocolate significantly improved the smoothness of arterial flow - an effect which lasted for eight hours.

Blood sample analysis also showed that dark chocolate almost halved platelet activity.

Antioxidant levels rose sharply after two hours.

White chocolate had no effect on endothelial cells, platelets, or antioxidant levels.

The researchers are convinced that the key is the high antioxidant content of dark chocolate, which contains more per gram than other food and drink laden with the substances, such red wine, green tea, and berry fruits.

Research published last year by the University of California found antioxidant-rich flavonoids in chocolate helped the blood vessels expand.

Warning

Dr Charmaine Griffiths, of the British Heart Foundation, said: "There is some evidence that when eaten in small quantities, dark chocolate might have some beneficial effects on blood vessels, but as yet no study has investigated the long-terms clinical effects - and this new, small study from Switzerland, does not change that.

"The key thing to remember about such studies is that chocolate is a bigger part of the problem than the solution.

"Whilst dark chocolate is higher in anti-oxidants, all forms of chocolate are very high in calories (typically about 500 calories per 100g) and contain an average 30% total fat.

"We are certainly not suggesting people never eat chocolate - everyone can enjoy a treat from time to time.

"But there are much better ways of improving your heart health, such as eating a varied diet, including at least five portions of fruit and vegetables a day.

"And whatever they eat, the biggest step the smokers in this study could make to reduce their risk of heart disease would be to give up."

:assimilated: This is the kind of medical research I love. We need more of it. Now if only we could get a study going on the health benefits of deep dish pizza or nachos......

:assimilated: sadly I found out today from my Doctor stuff I am not supposed to eat much or any of, and chocolate was one of them. I do not eat much chocolate to begin with, but now I have to cut it almost completely out.

But it is still interesting to read, I had seen something about chocolate being beneficial once before but it was cool to see it posted B)

True cutting chocolate does not bug me nearly as much as the other food I can't eat now and that is peanut butter & peanuts :wow: B) I love that stuff!

:) sadly I found out today from my Doctor stuff I am not supposed to eat much or any of, and chocolate was one of them. I do not eat much chocolate to begin with, but now I have to cut it almost completely out.

But it is still interesting to read, I had seen something about chocolate being beneficial once before but it was cool to see it posted :)

True cutting chocolate does not bug me nearly as much as the other food I can't eat now and that is peanut butter & peanuts :P :) I love that stuff!

*In an American Friend's Joey voice*

No chocolate or peanut butter? I'm a designer, I love that stuff! :)

Maybe. But next year they will say something different! LOL. They tell you one thing...and then the next year something different.

But the real simple answer is this: Eat a Good Diet! (pH slightly higher then water.) Exercise! And be in a good Emotional State!

I'm still waiting for the medical report that says cigarettes and beer are good for you. I know it's going to happen someday.

Stuff like that is already out! (Even on small use of tobacco, though it is controversial.)

Edited by master_q

*In an American Friend's Joey voice*

No chocolate or peanut butter? I'm a designer, I love that stuff! :clap:

Yep.. I have not had peanut butter since early December. I tried eating a bite of a peanut butter cup, and it made my stomach burn so very bad. I also tried eating a bite of a chocolate chip cookie, again with painful results so bad I had to be picked up early from work and almost had to run to the Dr's over it.

I took a bite of a giant Hersey kiss I got for Christmas, and it bugged me a little bit to eat it... but when I tried a small square of fudge that was homemade. Again I was on fire.

So yeah, until my surgery I avoided chocolate and peanut butter. Now after the surgery.... I am a bit nervous about trying to eat the stuff.