Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Limewire

Does anybody know anything about this software?

Is it safe to use?

It was downloaded to my computer but I'm wondering if anybody here can tell me a little more about it before I access it.

I know the software very well...i have used it and i wasnt to pleased..first of all the free download only lets you download at 50kb which is slow you can upgrade to 500kb download speed but you have to pay for it :)

Second...it has lots of fakes so you will be lucky if i doenst take 3 or 4 fake files before you get a real one...which means a film will take 4 to 5 days to download :blink:

I will give you this link its a great program i use called Bittcomet...its free and it is modded(my brother is a system mod at bitcomet) so 98% of files are Real!!...also (if your internet speed is fast) you can download at 900kbs!!!!!!...it took me 16 mins to download a perfect dvd rip of Batman Begins.....when you install it and open bitcomet you will get a list of the top 10 torrent sites in the left of your screen (torrentspy.com or iso hunt are the best) you click on directory and you get the list....movies,tv shows,games(all platforms)programs and other things......if you have any questions pm and i will guide you threw it.

]BITCOMET

Edited by hangon

I use bittorrent and filetopia. Between them I can find everything I need.

If you want any info on them you can PM me.

Fakes are not a problem in ether.

I'm also told Limewire inputs a lot of Spyware and Adware into your system. That said, it's a lot better than Kazaa. I haven't been using it too long, but I've found some incredibly rare stuff that only those who actually are looking for it will usually find.

I do not think it is too bad. Yeah occasionally you can run into fake files or partial files, but those are not too much of a problem (True I only use it for the occasional song... have no idea how bad it is with films).

Also paying for it is not too bad either, if you get down dirty & technical about it. I had tried the free version first, and did not have a problem with download rate.

Spyware yeah can be an occasional problem... but as far as I can tell it seemed to mainly pop up with the free trial version. It does not seem to be too harmful, meaning spyware appearing, with the paid for version.

For those on Limewire... you ain't seen nothing yet.

First, you deserve better than a Spyware infected program. Limewire accesses a network called Gnutella, which first of all is not very good... and second of all, there are a bunch of programs that access Gnutella. Just like MSIE and Firefox both access the Web, Bearshare and Limewire both access Gnutella... and BitComet and Azureus, my BT client of choice, both access the BitTorrent "network". BT doesn't have a network; rather, each "torrent" is its own network, in which everyone shares only one file, and it's the same file, so speeds are incredibly fast.

ISO Hunt isn't a very good site in my experience. It has some things but it has a lot of junk, too. In the BT world, you don't say the network has fakes, it's web sites that have fakes, or abandoned torrents, or junk. Because a web site collects .TORRENT files, and those tell your BT client how to get on the Torrent's network. I've had only marginal luck with ISO Hunt. I am not familiar with TorrentSpy, but I've heard of it. Mininova.org is the one I used when I was on DSL three months ago. I don't know if it's around anymore, but that's where I found stuff.

With BT, I was able to get every episode of the Star Trek series The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager. I only wish I had gotten The Original Series and Enterprise as well, but I'll have to get those when I get Cable internet out here.

BT isn't so good for songs. With BT, people trade full albums, so if you want a song, find out what album it's on and search for that. You don't have to keep the whole album, but you may have to download it...

...another cool thing about BT is you don't just download one file. When I said everyone in the Torrent downloads and shares the same file, that's not entirely correct. They share a "torrent", which is a container, like a folder. It can contain one file or it can contain a hundred or more files. With most BT clients, you can go in there and tell it which files you want and which ones you don't want. Some (BitTornado for example) will download the ones you don't want anyway, it'll just do them last. And in most cases, downloading only some files means you get it slower, actually. Because BT works on a give/take system... you're giving less, not taking some files, so people who need chunks of those files will give you less. It's tricky to explain. But when I downloaded the Star Trek series, I downloaded them one season at a time, each season having all the episodes in that season. Very cool.

When the download is done, you can continue sharing - this is called seeding, I believe - but if you want to stop it, you can simply delete the .torrent file you got from the site, and you'll leave the Torrent. (Some clients, you must close them first, or issue a command within the program to back out of the Torrent before deleting the file.) The .torrent file is separate from the download, though they may be in the same folder, so you're not deleting the download, just the information on the torrent (as in the network).

It's confusing, but if you do it for a while, you get the hang of it.

I've had some luck with ISO Hunt and Mininova but I haven't been real active on torrent sites since SuperNova shut down.

I got most my things from supernova when i first got in on torrents...Iso hunt is for my games,Torrentspy.com is the place for startrek & stargate(they have every episode from every show)...and for my WWE downloads,and just the other day i found another fantastic site...NOVA TORRENTS...this is turning out to be one of the best torrent sites on the net :)...and with my Bittcomet accelerator...the speeds are mind blowing

Edited by hangon