Sign in to follow this  
Gary Phaserman

Preparing for a white wednesday...

Okay, tomorrow is going to suck at work. I have officially been given the GM reins at work, and figures, my first week as GM is the last week of school. No biggy, just alot of timed orders for school parties. But, We are predicted to get heavy snow tomorrow in my area, mixed with rain at times. I told all my drivers, if we get busy, I'm calling everyone in. Naturally, this was met with some grumbling. One driver, though, had the cajones to say what noone else would.

"Hey, boss, If it's as bad as they're saying, why are we even going to risk delivering?"

I told him that I would constantly check with the drivers, to insure I knew the road conditions. First sign that it was getting too dangerous, I will discontinue deliveries. If the roads are bad, but not so bad as to warrant pulling the drivers off the road, though, I will make sure they get extra mileage (Drivers already get Mileage and a half if they come in unscheduled) I told them if it is real bad, They'll get double mileage. This means, though, I have to double the delivery charge. The Drivers seem happy about that, since tips around here suck in good weather, and go down hill along with the road conditions. So, my customers may be unhappy that instead of a 1.50 delivery charge they are shelling out 3.00, but if they really want their pizza, they can either pay up, or come and get it.

Does this sound like a reasonable thing to the rest of you?

Okay, just so I'm clear, you're customers would be aware of the price increase before delivery?

I'm just thinking that if you spring this on someone at the door, they could refuse delivery (I assume they can, I don't order pizza to be delivered often) and that would just compound the problem. You'll be out money (for both undelivered pizza and double mileage) and then your drivers will have to make two trips in the bad weather.

I say I would ride my bike if I really want to get a pizza and not pay the extra, but there are people that can dish out the money so... what happens happens. They want pizza, great, just make sure you tell them that it's going to cost more due to the risk for the drivers. It's like if I order a pizza in Iraq... I know I can either get it myself and risk my neck, pay a lot of money for someone else to get it for me and risk thier neck, or not order at all and be safe.

Okay, just so I'm clear, you're customers would be aware of the price increase before delivery?

I'm just thinking that if you spring this on someone at the door, they could refuse delivery (I assume they can, I don't order pizza to be delivered often) and that would just compound the problem. You'll be out money (for both undelivered pizza and double mileage) and then your drivers will have to make two trips in the bad weather.

I've been trying to write the Phone Script for tomorrow (If I need to, I can call in a few insiders, and some of my drivers can take orders.) It looks something like this...

Intro:

"Thank you for Choosing Domino's Pizza, where we love our Customers. This is (Team Member Name), how may I help you today?....Will this be for Carryout or Delivery?"

If Delivery:

"And Because of today's weather, we are adding an extra dollar fifty to the Delivery Charge today..." If needed, explain why.

Take order

Confirm order:

"Okay, and just to confirm your order....(Repeat order back to customer)"

Special promo:

"And would you like to add $1 to your order today to benefit the kids at St. Jude?"

Close the deal.

"Okay, thank you very much sir/ma'am, your total comes to $XX.XX after Tax and Delivery Charge, and we'll see you in X Minutes"

I'm also going to tell my drivers not to worry about speed. Drive at a safe speed given road conditions. If that means 15 or 20 miles per hour, then drive 15 or 20. My biggest concern in bad weather like we're expecting isn't that the pizzas get there in a certain time (Our Heatwave bags can keep a Pizza at 170 degrees for 2 hours. I know because I have tested that myself), but the safety of the Team Members. I want every driver that shows up for work tomorrow to leave work tomorrow in the same condition in which they arrived. Granted they'll probably be a bit colder than when they arrived, but...You get the idea. I'm also going to tell my CSR's that if anyone has a question or issue with the Delivery Charge or Delivery times that I will answer them personally. I'm hoping we don't get real busy, but sometimes hoping isn't enough.

As long as you inform your customers of the extra charge, you will be ok.

My biggest problem is getting my drivers to actually show up for work when we have a big snow or ice storm. Most of them don't have 4-wheel drive vehicles and they don't want to risk their lives or their vehicles just to make deliverys. I really can't blame them but I can't tell them that!

that's not unreasonable at all. my mom has delivered for dominoes and my sister's boyfriend currently does and they would totally agree with you. if i wanted pizza bad enough i'd shell out the extra money. and now that theres those heater bags it's not like the pizza will get cold or anything. you did a great job thinking of the drivers' safety in crappy weather.

tm :blink:

The weather wasn't as bad as expected. Looks like all the snow went up towards Green Bay. Gary's still at work, but he said he didn't have to call anyone in, and didn't have to execute his plan, but it's good that he was prepared for what could have been an ugly day.

It's always better to have a back up plan, just in case. I, for one, enjoy driving in bad weather, I find it helps you to learn how to drive it, then you're better prepared.