Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Campaign to save LeVar Burton's Reading Rainbow

st.com reports:

The Just for Mom Foundation has established a website and petition drive devoted to preventing the PBS series Reading Rainbow, hosted and produced by LeVar Burton, from ceasing production.

"Every week, over 4.3 million children, teachers, parents and grandparents enjoy and learn from Reading Rainbow," states SaveReadingRainbow.org. "Unfortunately, we are at risk of losing this national treasure."

The site hopes to gather 10,000 online signatures on their petition by the end of the year, to demonstrate to potential corporate sponsors the amount of support the show has. Visit the link above for more information.

Edited by Takara_Soong

As a Children's Librarian I have purchased these books for a public library ever since the beginning of the series. The series is a great example of quality children's programming. Levar is wonderful. I have signed and will encourage people to sign the petition at work.

To be honest I didn't know what Reading Rainbow was until The Next Generation aired. By that time I was already in high school.

LeVar Burton was also in Roots which is supposedly the most watched miniseries of all time. I had heard of Roots but didn't know Burton was in it until very recently.

I grew up watching Reading Rainbow... as did my siblings. It would be sad to see it go. Going to check that site out right now.

I didn't even know it was still in existance. How long has it been around? It seems to me I remember seeing it back when I was in 6th or 7th grade (1979/1980).

I didn't even know it was still in existance. How long has it been around? It seems to me I remember seeing it back when I was in 6th or 7th grade (1979/1980).

From what I found it started in 1983 although that petition website says its been on for 24 years so I'm not sure.

I grew up watching Reading Rainbow... as did my siblings. It would be sad to see it go. Going to check that site out right now.

Same here.

I feel the same way about this show as I did about Kaptain Kangaroo and Mister Roger's Neighborhood.

I signed the petition and linked it in my siggy at another forum.

From what I found it started in 1983 although that petition website says its been on for 24 years so I'm not sure.

24 Years seems about right, I can remember it being on TV while I was waiting for the school bus in the mornings and by 1983 I wasn't riding a school bus anymore. In fact 1981 was the last year that I rode a school bus.