Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

What Not to do....

Here's something that may sound funny to you guys, but won't be so funny for one of my students.

I assigned at the beginning of the semester a Book Review to my US History classes. the set-up was simple. "Read a biography (No Auto-Biographies) on a person who lived between 1492 and 1876". Sounds simple enough, and for most students, it was. The average grade was an 88, or roughly a B+. But, one of my students, well, he wrote a great, beautiful paper. He almost got away with it, too. His infraction? He BS'd the whole thing. the book he chose, "Mighty Stonewall", by Frank E. Vandiver, happens to be presently sitting in my bookcase. I've read the book. Twice. I knew after reading the paper that the student in question hadn't read the book more than into maybe the 3rd chaper. Obviously, because of time constraints, I can't read EVERY book my students reviewed, but it just happened that one student chose a book I knew and had read. After mulling it over, I decided I'd be fair. He at least went to the effort to try and write a paper, and chose a rather lengthy book, and the paper was written well, even if it was pulled out of the air. I ended up giving him some points for effort, but it wasn't nearly enough to pull the paper's grade up out of the failing zone. Moral of the story? If you choose a book the teacher has read, actually do the assignment. read the book, then write the report.

Moral of the story? If you choose a book the teacher has read, actually do the assignment. read the book, then write the report

They should do that whether the teacher has read the book or not. Besides, how would the student know if the teacher had read the book?

Moral of the story? If you choose a book the teacher has read, actually do the assignment. read the book, then write the report

They should do that whether the teacher has read the book or not. Besides, how would the student know if the teacher had read the book?

The fact that it was sitting on his shelf!

He told me the title of the book, and I said "Oh, great book! I loved reading it!"

He told me the title of the book, and I said "Oh, great book! I loved reading it!"

Oh...ok then. You forgot to mention that part before......lol