Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Who likes being #2

In all the series with a starship Enterprise, the Enterprise has been the premier Star Fleet vessel; the flagship of the fleet. The captains chose only the "best" officers for each position. Archer has certainly made a point that his crew was the best. My question - does the next ship's crew go around saying hey we're the second best in the fleet? Is it possible all Star Fleet personnel are more or less equally competent?

Look at the 24th century: Picard & crew, Sisko & crew, Janeway & crew... they all thought they were the best crew in the fleet! :( I think that each crew thinks they're the best. Hmm... Wonder what would happen if two 1st officers had lunch and then one said his captain was the best in the fleet? :clap:

it is like the U.S. marines. they beleive they are the best in the world, but the army rangers think they are the best in the world but SAS thinks it is best in the world and of coures the navy seals think theya re the best in the world. it is part of training to build confifdence in the troops

They put a bumper sticker on the nacelles saying:

"My Captain was an honor student at Starfleet Academy"

or

"My Captain can beat your Captain"

:( :clap::clap::clap::clap:

or

:(  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

LMAO!!! :clap:

Good one! :clap:

or

LMAO!!! :clap:

Good one! :clap:

Thanks.

I guess I'm just in a silly mood this morning!

or

ROFL :clap:

it is like the U.S. marines. they beleive they are the best in the world, but the army rangers think they are the best in the world but SAS thinks it is best in the world and of coures the navy seals think theya re the best in the world. it is part of training to build confifdence in the troops

They do that in the U.S. Navy, too. Every office and seaman thinks his vessel is the best. The guys on destroyers think of carriers as floating parking lots, but to a submariner, they're both

just "targets." However, objectively, all naval officers and seamen are the best.

Look at the 24th century: Picard & crew, Sisko & crew, Janeway & crew...  they all thought they were the best crew in the fleet! :clap: I think that each crew thinks they're the best.  Hmm...  Wonder what would happen if two 1st officers had lunch and then one said his captain was the best in the fleet? :clap:

Stardate:213537.8

Scenario:Spock and Riker have lunch and are discussing thier former captians when an arguemnt starts.

Spock:My Captian is better than your captian!

Riker:No My Captian is better!!!!!!

Spock:Well My captain is known throughout the galaxy and was involved in the Kitohmer Accords!!!!!

Riker:Oh yeah well my Captian has a manuver named after him and was assimilated by the borg and lived to tell about it!!

Spock:My Captian can beat up your Captain!!!!!!

Riker:No My Captian can kick your Captian's but!!!!!!

LOL :(

Look at the 24th century: Picard & crew, Sisko & crew, Janeway & crew...  they all thought they were the best crew in the fleet! :clap: I think that each crew thinks they're the best.  Hmm...  Wonder what would happen if two 1st officers had lunch and then one said his captain was the best in the fleet? :clap:

Scenario:Spock and Riker have lunch and are discussing thier former captians when an arguemnt starts.

Spock:Well My captain is known throughout the galaxy and was involved in the Kitohmer Accords!!!!!

Riker:Oh yeah well my Captian has a manuver named after him and was assimilated by the borg and lived to tell about it!!

LOL!!! That's great I could see that happening. :clap:

Very Funny! :clap:

The argument could conclude with Spock saying:

Commander Riker, this discussion is illogical!

Look at the 24th century: Picard & crew, Sisko & crew, Janeway & crew...  they all thought they were the best crew in the fleet! :lol: I think that each crew thinks they're the best.  Hmm...  Wonder what would happen if two 1st officers had lunch and then one said his captain was the best in the fleet? :lol:

LOL :laugh:

LMAO!!

Hey, now what about Kira and Chakotay? :lol:

End of the day isn't it a case of Each captain having the best crew to compliment their personality and command style, therefore all crews are best suited to their captains?

End of the day isn't it a case of Each captain having the best crew to compliment their personality and command style, therefore all crews are best suited to their captains?

I would tend to think so. But usually, Captains have a say on who their Senior Staff Members are. If they don't live up to their Captain's expectations, they are usually not around for very long.

I highly doubt there's a captain in the fleet that just says to his crew "Well.... Way to mess it up again, no wonder we're not the flagship.."

I highly doubt there's a captain in the fleet that just says to his crew "Well.... Way to mess it up again, no wonder we're not the flagship.."

I gotta agree with you there. If you want to be the Flagship, your crew has to be second to none.

They do that in the U.S. Navy, too. Every office and seaman thinks his vessel is the best. The guys on destroyers think of carriers as floating parking lots, but to a submariner, they're both

just "targets." However, objectively, all naval officers and seamen are the best.

I have been on carrier and destroyer. :laugh: Carriers are nothing the floating hotels without its airwing. Destroyers are just small boys follow the carriers to pick-up anyone that falls off the flight deck, and watch out for those subs.

I gotta agree with you there. If you want to be the Flagship, your crew has to be second to none.

Flagships in the Navy means the admiral is on board along with his staff where the ship will have his flag flying on the mast. Any ship can be a flagship. Carriers are normal flagships and center of a battlegroup. All carriers are flagships, and for them it is not an honor, but normal routine. It starts to become an "honor" with the small boys, anything smaller than a carrier, but there is more work being a flagship because the admiral is on board. More cleaning and longer working hours to impress the admiral. The ship can be the best in the fleet, but it does not make it a flagship unless they are carriers or center of battlegroup.