I saw a commercial for The Core and I nearly fell out of my chair when I heard them say "a journey to the centre of the Earth where no one has gone before.

Another thing when I went to see Nemesis they had a trailer for The Core and the kid in it says he wants Star Trek tapes and Hot Pockets to hack for them but in the commercials on tv he says he wants Spongebob tapes and Hot Pockets.

Are they trying to get Trek fans to this movie or provoke us?

OK, so I wasn't hearing things!!! I thought there was a change!!! So now the question remains, what does he really say??????

Well, I hope they haven't changed it, that was the very reason I wanted to see that movie.

But, if you go here: http://www.apple.com/trailers/

and view the trailer, it still says Star Trek tapes.

New info: Someone who has seen the movie says the line is now "Xena tapes". They shoulda left it alone.

Yes, he say's "I am going to need Star Trek tape's and Hot Pockets."

Have you seen the movie? How was it?

I have not seen the movie, I was referring to the trailer shown at the link provided above, I thought that was what we were talking about but I see now the question raised is about whether the same thing is said in the movie, sorry.

Personally I think "The Core" looks like yet another over indulgent special FX movie with no plot at all behind it except for the cliche "saving the earth from destruction plot"... Take a number Core, you're in the same damn pile as any one of a hundred films. But that's just what I think...

Personally I love science fiction but movies like this seem to always turn it into a gaint non-stop fx showcase with no real plot. Maybe I'm just too damn hard to please. Or maybe I'm just too damn critical of modern cinema... But if you ask me there haven't been too many really good science fiction movies besides the ST series movies in years. All of them lack plot and use too many Fx stunts to fill in the cavernous gaps that their weak storylines leave.

I saw the trailer for The Core when I went to see Nemesis and it made me almost lose my will to live. It looks sooooo bad! I also was kind of insulted when they tell the kid to "hack the planet" and he asks for hot pockets and Star Trek tapes. I felt like they were type casting Trekies (and Trekers) as complete dweebs. The sad thing is I'm sure (or at least I would guess) that Paremont Pictures gave The Core at least 3 times the budget that they gave Nemesis. You will have to drag me to the theater and buy my ticket, pop corn and soda to get me to see this movie.

I was just checking at Box Office Mojo and it didn't say what their budgets were. It did say that it brought in under $3.8 million Friday and it came in second. They are estimating an opening weekend of $11.8 million. I found another site that said its production budget was $60 million which is the same as Nemesis but I think The Core's advertising budget might be bigger because I have seen a LOT more commercials for The Core than I saw for Nemesis.

I too have seen a lot more commercials for The Core, vs. Nemesis. I think the one MAJOR thing I did see for Nemesis, was when I think either NBC or FOX did a Nemesis themed Pre Game thing with the Lions/Patriots football game on Thanksgiving. I don't particularly like either team but watched it because Patrick and Brent were presenting the teams and their statistics. It was awesome! However The Core, now that has had some major amounts of commercial spots...I even saw two in the same commercial break!!

And did you notice that since the male characters are played by a bunch of no names that they don't mention who is in this movie in the trailers or commercials. Gosh they have Alfre Woodard and Oscar-winner Hilary Swank but they aren't mentioned because no one has heard of the men. :bow:

Yes I DID notice that! That seems to be the case for any movie(that aren't girlie movies anyway). It is like "No A or B list MALES? So we'll completetly IGNORE the A or B list females! And no one will EVER notice!" Well, I got news for them....WE DO NOTICE THEIR LITTLE "FUNNY" JOKE, AND IT AIN'T FUNNY!!

:lol:

Has ANYONE seen this movie yet? I guess if they were trying to get Trek fans to go see it, it hasn't worked.

I saw the trailer for The Core when I went to see Nemesis and it made me almost lose my will to live. It looks sooooo bad! I also was kind of insulted when they tell the kid to "hack the planet" and he asks for hot pockets and Star Trek tapes. I felt like they were type casting Trekies (and Trekers) as complete dweebs. The sad thing is I'm sure (or at least I would guess) that Paremont Pictures gave The Core at least 3 times the budget that they gave Nemesis. You will have to drag me to the theater and buy my ticket, pop corn and soda to get me to see this movie.

I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AGREE! IM GLAD SOME PEOPLE AGREE WITH ME ABOUT MOVIES THESE DAYS! :lol:

I'm thinking about going to see THE CORE as a friend of mine liked it.

What should I go in expecting?

A. Cool sci-fi movie!

B. Big special effect.

C. Cool action movie.

:wow:

I don't know anyone who has gone so I can't help you there. I only want to know if the kid says Spongebob tapes in the movie.

At another board I frequent there was a banner add with an anoying audio message. We believe that there is a curse on all movies advertised there so far (Williard, Nemesis, and The Core) all did horrible and all had audio banners.

Haven't seen the Core yet. When we first saw the trailer in the theaters it was "hey, this doesn't look like a bad movie..we should come to the movie theater to see it!" now, watching the previews on the TV, I am going to wait to rent it on VHS first!

Maybe I'll wait and see if it goes to any of the cheap second run theatres. Spending $2 to see it wouldn't be too bad.

We used to have an excellent cheap theater only two blocks away, it became a welfare.... excuse me.... Social Services office. :wow:

We have a couple here but they are a little bit of a trek (pardon the pun). The chairs are uncomfortable, the sound system is not that great and the film quality was not great but the price is good . I saw Nemesis there once but having first seen it in the first run theatre (a Silver City theatre for those of you in Canada) that has such great seats, super sound system, etc. it was well worth the $8.50 I paid to get in to Silver City.

We have a couple here but they are a little bit of a trek (pardon the pun). The chairs are uncomfortable, the sound system is not that great and the film quality was not great but the price is good .

We have a $1.50 theater where I live!  The only thing I don't like about it, is you hear a LOUD sticky-crackle noise when you walk arround in the actual theater room! :wow:

B) Like I said, an excellent cheap theater! :wow:

We used to have a cheap theater....but, well it is still there but it is no longer cheap...I think a co-worker of mine said that it was $5.00 to see a film! And our Regal Cinema at our local mall charges $7.50! And the worst part is the former "cheap" theater is still rather "Cheap" movie theater in appearance. The sticky floors, uncomfortable seats, the cramped space. It used to be $2.50-$3.00 to see a movie. One plus that is still there is that a waiter/waitress comes in before the movie begins to take food and drink orders. Bad thing is he/she comes back with your order and expecting you to pay while the movie is in progress :wow: .

The last movie I saw at the cheap theater was "The X-Files", and for Nemesis I had to go to a city north of my home to see it. And that movie was definately worth the $6.50 I paid, as well as the 45 minute drive to the theater!

In my hometown we had a pretty nice 1.50 theater that had 50 cent movies on Tuesdays. Now that I live in LA the cheapest thing I've found so far is this crumy little one room theater that shows 2 movies for $5. I saw Nemesis there but I didn't bother to stick around for Maid in Manhatten. I have to admit I really love run down old crappy theaters. They might not have the sharp picture, the good sound, clean floors, or comfurtable seating. But they have such a great almost spooky vibe to them that I love.

it was well worth the $8.50 I paid to get in to Silver City.

$8.50??? here in edmonton, alberta, our silver city is $12 and our newest cineplex odeon, which is even better than silver city is $13! movies here are becoming more and more expensive, but i've got a friend who works at cineplex, so he can get me in free!! woo-hoo! lol

Get into a movie for free?!??!??!? LUCKY, that is what you are! Our local theater costs about $7.25, the one I saw Nemesis in costs $6.50 and that was one of the cheapest theaters in that city. My sister, brother, brother in-law and I saw the Mummy Returns at a Tinseltown up there and that ran us about $10(at a student rate)!