Sign in to follow this  
Itchygomba69

Bicentennial Man

Oh yes I also saw it on video was a very good film about a Android who wants to at least look Human on the outside and takes him 200 years (Bicentennial)to achieve it .

:P :( :( :)

I watched it when it first came out.

Good movie. I actually didn't think he deserved the same rights as people, but I'm just a meanie, I suppose. I didn't think Mr.Data did, either (Boos and hisses from the assembled Trekdom). I still liked the movie.

Good movie. I actually didn't think he deserved the same rights as people, but I'm just a meanie, I suppose. I didn't think Mr.Data did, either (Boos and hisses from the assembled Trekdom). I still liked the movie.

No boos or hisses from me - I tend to agree this is Science Fiction after all. Although how do I explain The Doctor was my favorite character on Voyager?

I really did not like this movie

Both Andrew and Data were unique. They were free-thinking, intelligent beings no matter how they were created. Robots might be the eternal servants of man, but if they were smart and had feelings would you really keep them as slaves?

Both Andrew and Data were unique. They were free-thinking, intelligent beings no matter how they were created. Robots might be the eternal servants of man, but if they were smart and had feelings would you really keep them as slaves?

My attitude toward robots is similar to that of Will Smith in I, Robot. They are high-tech can openers. No ammount of simulated emotion will change that for me. We have to keep technology in the proper perspective.

Cavemen had stone knives and bear skins. We have robots. They are tools. Nothing more.

Didn't Will Smith's opinion change in the end of the movie? :shifty3:

His did. Mine didn't.

I think there's a danger in growing so fond of any technology, no matter how sophisticated, that we begin thinking it human (or human-like), and start to consider it on an equal footing with ourselves.

I'm afraid I'm just never going to see Bicentennial Man or Data as more than hyper-animated blenders.

Or the kid from AI, for that matter. Great film, tear jerker.....but Haley Joel osment (is that his name?) is a robot that thinks it's a boy. Nothing more.