Sign in to follow this  
APW

Accent Discrimination?

Texas accent may be an asset when job hunting....

:laugh: So, has anyone here ever won or lost a job because of an accent?

In school I got ribbed pretty bad for a number of years for my accent which I inherited from my parents (I tended to say things like "Worsh" instead of "Wash")....which considering my bad temper was a fairly dangerous thing to do, picking on my accent. :laugh:

Now that I'm older I no longer try to mask my natural manner of speaking. I just go with it. Can't say it's lost me any jobs or won me any. Maybe I should talk like a Texan?

Edited by admiralpeewee

I am from New York and I am planning on changing my accent anytime soon.

Apparently my Irish accent is fairly strong and has always been more of an asset than anything else while travelling. Doesn't matter over here, nobody thinks I have an accent in Ireland, only comes up when I'm out of the country.

Isn't a Texan accent the same as a regular southern accent? Well I got me one of those!

THis isn't an accent thing but a regional thing. I visited jaina from here and we had a discussion about which was correct, soda or pop. :laugh:

All Southern accents are not the same :laugh:

It's so funny when I lived in the West people tried to joke I had a Southern accent - while people at home would ask where I was from because I didn't talk like I was from the South.

The best I can say is that I probably have an ecclectic accent because I've lived in different regions and picked up different speech habits.

Although I will say I had an experience similar to the admiral's and I will never, ever, ever, ever say the word water as if it had an r in it.

I had a boss from my first command that didn't like my New York accent and tried to change it. It didn't work. First I like my accent very much. Second I don't like the push that seems to go on in US with everyone having the same accent. :laugh:

I do not think my job has been affected by the way I talk. I personally do not think I have an accent, but many people think I have one that is foreign (usually one of my ancestries - Norwegian, Danish, German, Polish, Irish, Welsh, Scottish, Cree Indian... mainly it will all come down to Norwegian, German, Irish or Scottish that people say I have. *shrug* I do not know...)

Only person online from this site that has heard me via voice chat is Data.. I do not know if he thinks I have an accent or not.

People also say I sound a lot different than I look :laugh: One customer heard me on the intercom and thought I was much older than I really am & look. LOL, Personally I take that as a complement to say I have a more mature voice :laugh:

"Cost ya kick a bow against da wow and 'ead it till it bosts?"

Can you kick a ball against the wall and head it until it bursts?

This is the sort of things said in the Potteries, (where Pot Banks used to be), where I live. I talk a bit Potterish but not like dat!

one of my classmates were being a bit rasist to out substitute earth science teacher because of her accent and her nationality. me and my friend reported him to the sub and the normal teacher. i hope he get in school for that she was one of the nicest subs i have ever had.