Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Manticore

408.jpg

Chase Masterson (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) told SCI FI Wire that she'll join fellow Trek veteran Robert Beltran (Star Trek: Voyager) and Heather Donahue (Steven Spielberg Presents Taken) in the upcoming SCI FI Channel original movie Manticore. "Manticore is set in present-day Iraq, and it's striking how realistic the location and action looks," Masterson said in an interview. "I play a driven, bratty reporter who is convinced there are weapons of mass destruction in an off-limits area."

Masterson added: "Risking our lives, I convince my partner to go with me to find them, so we can break the story and boost my career. It turns out that the weapon of mass destruction is a 2,000-year-old creature, brought back to life. It's terrifying: half-lion, half-dragon. An army platoon, led by characters played by Robert Beltran and Heather Donahue, comes to rescue us."

Masterson—who also hosts an SF-oriented radio interview program on Thefandom.com—said that she enjoyed shooting Manticore on location in Bulgaria and was impressed by the production team, including director Tripp Reed. "Working in Bulgaria was a fabulous experience," Masterson said. "It's an extremely passionate country, I think, because they were so oppressed for so long, and the people are very genuine. I'd worked with the producer, Phil Roth, several years ago, and I'd found his production values and special effects to be really strong. Even when I wasn't working, I stuck around to see it all happen live. I think viewers are in for a treat. Also, Tripp Reed is a director to watch. He works equally well with actors as with the camera and technical effects, which I appreciated." Manticore debuts on SCI FI at 9 p.m. ET/PT on Nov. 26.

ChaseClub