Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

To the bravest men and women in the world...

I want to say thank you to the bravest folks in the world. Some may say these people would be the British SAS. Others, an Isreali Anti-Terror Unit, and still others say the Green Berets or the US Navy SEALs. These people are all undoubtably brave people, but they are not the bravest, most courageous on the planet. That distinction goes to the ones the troops call "Doc". Weather the official term is Medic or Corpsman, "Doc" is the nickname for the folks who patch up the fighting men, usually right on the front lines. By law, Medics and Corpsmen are not permitted to carry weapons into combat, and must wear a red cross either on their arm or their helmet. They are, basically, defenseless, readily indentifyable, targets. But, this does not discourage these people. They do it not for the glory, but, quite litterally, for the man next to them. When that soldier, sailor, Airman, or Marine is wounded, Doc is there. Doc is the first in a long line of medical attention that most injured soldiers will go through, and Doc is also the most critical in that long line. Doc also does not get the luxury of treating his patients in a nice, sterile hospital, but in the grit and grime of a combat environment, with bullets flying past his head and morter and artillery shells exploding around him. No fewer than 2 members of this board have been treated under combat circumstances by Doc, and at least 2 others were themselves refered to as "Doc". So, tonight, as you sit with your family around the dinner table, say a prayer for these fine folks, for even today as I write this, somewhere in the world, "Doc" is on the line, doing his duty, saving the life of a Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine.

#1, YBHYR, You are very much welcome. It's a job that has been for the most part a pleasure. #2, In addition to being thankful to corpsmen, I wanted to say that I love Corpsmen so much, I married one! (Julie and I met in the Navy. At the time, she was an HM3, and I was an FT3, back at New London. I was married at the time. When I went to Great Lakes to switch rates to GM, She was there, too. This was after my divorce and subsequent failed BUD/S attempt.)