Sign in to follow this  
APW

Need some help with a PC tech issue

I ran my daily spyware sweep tonight and my spysweeper told me that I have a trojan called "trojan-downloader-conhook".

But my McAfee security center says I'm fine.

I deleted the trojan upon completion of my spysweep, and just to be safe ran another....and there it was again. I deleted it. It's back again. I delete it....and :lol:

It's back once more.

I checked adware glossary's at McAfee and Symantec and neither contains this particular trojan. But my spysweeper classifies it as a very high risk. I found one website with forums about this trojan, but I couldn't follow the message board discussions on how to kill the dang thing. All the tehnobabble just flew right over my head. :lol:

Any advice or assistance would be appreciated.

Always keep your virus software up to date. I up date mine almost everyday, as they come up with these things everday. Hackers are getting to be a pain in the you know what. In stead of putting thier talent to good use they would rather mess thing up for poeple. Good luck in keeping the trojans off your PC.

Please may I make a recommendation for future reference?

Before I protected our computer, we were constantly recieving trojans, viruases and being constantly hijacked. Our last computer was so messed up we scrapped it.

When you create a document, always save two copies, preferably one on CD. Whenever you do have problems like you mentioned previously, you can perform a System Restore.

This'll take your computer back to a specific date and remove any documents or viruses been installed during that time.

*Shyly* I...er... hope that helps. :lol:

i'd recommend also downloading spybot search and destroy. my friend and i agree that having both adaware and spybot is good because one will catch something that the other doesn't. there are also computer programs that will restore your system for you i have one called go back. i also recommend downloading avg antivirus it's pretty good at restoring stuff. my computer professor highly reccomends it as do i.

tm :lol:

I spoke too soon.

trojan-downloader-conhook reappeared this morning.

We've been slugging it out all day. It's a stalemate as I wait for the techs at 3 different websites to e-mail me.

I've sent the techs at Webroot, McAfee, and Bullguard my Highjack This and Spysweeper session logs. Now all I can do is wait. :lol:

I hate this. It's like knowing somebody is mucking about in your house and not being able to stop them....

:lol:

I've run Spybot, but I'm having trouble interpreting the red items I need to keep from those I should fix.

Edited by admiralpeewee

The best way to not get spy ware: NEVER USE INTERNET EXPLORER. Firefox is the best, but just about any browser that does not use IE (some like Slim Browser in fact DO use IE, and are just as big a risk) is an improvement.

Okay.

I downloaded Spybot and several of LOTB's suggested programs. They all found and deleted or fixed 69 adware that my Webroot Spysweeper hadn't even detected. :lol:

Then I went to McAfee's Support forums and downloaded VirtumundoBeGone and let it sweep my PC for that trojan. It instantly found it and annihilated it (I hope)....

Subsequent sweeps with AdAware, Spybot, and Spy Sweeper are coming back clean. Thank God.

I'll run a few more sweeps tomorrow just to be sure.

But, I'd like to thank everybody. You all really helped a lot. :lol:

I also have downloaded Firefox. I'm going to run that tomorrow and get away from IE.

Yay! The one other thing I will warn you about IE is that you can never entirely remove it's program. It is completely integrated into Windows. Basically they use it (without linking to the internet) as an interface to access all of you files. O.o

you need internet explorer for some stuff anyways, such as if you want to update windows.. also, the microsoft site will not let you into some places if you have firefox or opera, you need INTERNET EXPLORER.

i never use it.. i don't even bother updating my computer any more.. it's fine AS IS..

Yeah, and most of the updates are FOR IE to start with. :bow: