Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

The Holodeck Program of TATV

Do you think that there could have been inaccuracies in the program watched by Riker and Troi? I was reading another Trek forum that a lot of fans treat it that way. I haven't seen the episode yet, but I know all that happens on it. What are your thoughts?

My personal thoughts, without actually seeing it yet, is that it was accurate and that fans are so upset that they feel that it must be wrong. My opinion may change after I watch the episode, but that won't be until probably next Weds. :blush:

I hope their right and what we saw happen didn't really happen somehow... :drool:

If we could choose one episode of ENT to be de-canonized, TATV would get my vote.

I think there are bound to be inaccuracies because holodecks wouldn't have been invented until most of the NX-01 crew was long dead. However, there is no way that they could get Trip's death wrong because it would have been well documented.

Really, if I could change TATV, I would have set it on the Titan, and that's about it. I think Trip's death made sense, he saved Archer and he saved the Federation before it was even born.

The only thing we know is Troi used a holographic program based on Archer's last mission on the Enterprise to help Riker decide if he was to obey orders or do the right thing.

Both Riker and Troi spoke as if their knowledge of the period was incomplete at best, so I can certainly believe she took the liberty to create the whole 'Tucker disobeys orders and gives his life to save Archer and secure the future of the treaty' subplot.

It's no different than someone using the name of someone on George Washingtons staff during the revolution and creating a story about him saving the life of the General during a famous battle to make a point.

(Though that would seem to indicate that Trip never became nearly as famous a historic figure as did Archer.)

Both Riker and Troi spoke as if their knowledge of the period was incomplete at best, so I can certainly believe she took the liberty to create the whole 'Tucker disobeys orders and gives his life to save Archer and secure the future of the treaty' subplot.

I doubt Troi wrote the holodeck program herself. It was most likely something that was available in the Enterprise's holodeck database. There was never any indication that Troi had the ability to write a detailed holodeck program during TNG's run.

I doubt Troi wrote the holodeck program herself. It was most likely something that was available in the Enterprise's holodeck database. There was never any indication that Troi had the ability to write a detailed holodeck program during TNG's run.

but we have seen on many occasions that users can alter a program just by giving verbal commands, and even if some sort of real programing was required, I'm sure Mr. Barclay would be happy to help the counselor without asking any questions.

but we have seen on many occasions that users can alter a program just by giving verbal commands, and even if some sort of real programing was required, I'm sure Mr. Barclay would be happy to help the counselor without asking any questions.

My thinking is that historical programs would be written and supplied in a database for teaching and/or training purposes. Agreed they would not be exact since they can't recreate conversations that occurred between individuals 200 years earlier but the basic events would be factual.

We do know that Reg Barclay did write some pretty elaborate holodeck programs (like in Fistful of Datas) but in DS9 whenever they wanted an elaborate interactive program they seemed to send out requests to some guy who wrote the programs for them (such as Bashir's James Bond and Vic Fontaine programs).

Edited by Takara_Soong

I agree that it is unlikely that the program was created from scratch, but it would only take a few moments for Troi to tell the computer to add the death of the Trip character and save changes under a different file name before she had Riker go through the Program.

I agree that it is unlikely that the program was created from scratch, but it would only take a few moments for Troi to tell the computer to add the death of the Trip character and save changes under a different file name before she had Riker go through the Program.

Yes it could be done but why would it be done. If what really happened on the NX-01 didn't apply to the situation then Troi could just find another historical program that did fit the situation.