Sign in to follow this  
SpaceHippie

Death of Kirk

Hmm... I didn't mind Kirk getting killed off in Generations. In Trek, the star never dies, unless it's someone elses story! :biggrin: Which was the care for Kirk. :grin: Anywho, the only think I would'a changed was how he died. Of all the things he survived, an old rusty bridge killed him? :grin:

There was one of the movies where Kirk said that he knows he will die alone. I wish they had done it so he was right, not that i wanted him to die alone, that sounds so sad, but because he seemed so convinced he was right.

In away, Kirk was right, he did die alone. When Kirk said, "I've allways known... I'll die alone," I believe he ment that as long as Spock, Bones, and the rest of the crew were arround, Kirk wouldn't die. However, in Generations, the only person with Kirk, is his Nexus friend, Picard. So, in a way, Kirk did die alone. I think it was a metaphor saying that as long as he was with his comrads, he wouldn't die.

The way they finally killed of Kirk slightly upset me but then when I thought about it there is no better way of dieing than for what you have been defending all your life. That is what Kirk was doing when he died and the whole rusted bridge taking him out that was a little strange but at least it wasn't something like being disentigrated or being assimilated by the Borg. To have done somet6hing like that would have taken away from Kirk's character. But in a way he did die alone and I have to agree with CJLP.

Stardate:213529.2

In my mind he isnt dead.Has anyone ever read Shatners Star Trek series.I know they arent Canon but they are still good.in the series they explain that he cant die because fate wont let him till he is alone.Ill stio there cause i might be spoiling ti for somebody.

I've read William Shatners books and I agree with you on that point and I would loved it if they had used it to make a movie but you know hot that goes.

I never liked Kirk much and I prefered the way the had him die the first way in Generations before the fans got them the reshoot the death and allso haw he meets it the the novel. He get vaporised by Soran, no chance of retern. I allways thought they should keep that part

I don't think vaporizing Kirk would have been a good idea and I'm glad that they went the route they did, but they could have done his death a little better. Plus at some point in time they will want to somehow resurect Kirk like in William Shatner's book. The Kirk charecter is just way to popular to keep him dead.

Overall I hated the death of Kirk but I think that they should have done it better . Maybe they should have had him die in an explosion taking Soran with him or he and Soran should have fallen while grappling on the bridge.

Spock's death at the end of WQrath was extremly emotional. And his send off was grand. Falling off a bridge and getting covered with stones just seem to do this legendary character no justice. It was pathetic and to me, just a ratings boost to a film that had limited features. I wanted big show down. A la Darth Vader at the end of Star Wars. I couldnt believe that this obscure El Erian (sp) could easily whoop the *buttocks* off two of Star Fleet's finest, so easily.

"Oh my!" Bad last words. He should've told Picard that he should get back to his crew, and his Enterprise and to treat her right, and all that typically hammy emotional stuff. Big funeral, etc etc.

:lol: IMO of course!!!

Stardate:213545.6

I think his last words should of been something from the opening of TOS.Something like "Space the final fronteir" or maybe have him just end with "We made a difference"it would of been more fitting.

Kirk's death scene should never have been written, period. It should have been one of those concepts left up to the fans to determine for themselves, if Kirk was dead yet or not and if so, how he died. The legend that Kirk was deserved better than what Generations gave him and what the Shatnerverse seems to have dished out.

In away, Kirk was right, he did die alone.  When Kirk said, "I've allways known... I'll die alone," I believe he ment that as long as Spock, Bones, and the rest of the crew were arround, Kirk wouldn't die.  However, in Generations, the only person with Kirk, is his Nexus friend, Picard.  So, in a way, Kirk did die alone.  I think it was a metaphor saying that as long as he was with his comrads, he wouldn't die.

I read the book of the movie, and you are right.

I remember him telling that as far as Bones and Spock would be with him, he would stay alive.

Need to find that book and reread to be sure. But I read that somewhere, I'm sure of it.

Alone for him means without his "family"

Ezri, the title of the book you want to read is Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier. Kirks line: "I'll die alone" is also in the film of the same name but the book delves far deeper into all aspects of the story than the film did, Paramount kept Shatner on a bare bones shoestring budget but in the novel, everything goes.

The way they finally killed of Kirk slightly upset me but then when I thought about it there is no better way of dieing than for what you have been defending all your life. That is what Kirk was doing when he died and the whole rusted bridge taking him out that was a little strange but at least it wasn't something like being disentigrated or being assimilated by the Borg. To have done somet6hing like that would have taken away from Kirk's character. But in a way he did die alone and I have to agree with CJLP.

I agree with both of you.

Maybe it was a ratings booster, but I thought that it was somehow a more... realistic... touch. A little ironic, actually, although morgue humor.

I thought the way he died was cool, when I saw those bridge anchors straining I said to my self it looked supernatural, it seemed like an unseen hand was pulling on the bridge to bring it down. I remember thinking there could be two possibility's for what I was seeing, it was Fate determined not to let Kirk get away again or it was the ghost of Khan keeping his promise to never give him up. Kirks dying words: Oh my...

Stardate:213641.9

Thats a good Possibility!!I never thought of that.Kirk could of been saying Oh My..because he was looking a Khan's ghost as he was having the last laugh and Kirk was shocked by this because after all those years fate finally got what it wanted.Anybody ever seen Final Destination.Fate was out to get Kirk cause Kirk cheated fate so many times of his death.Fate finally won or did it..................

I didn't want Kirk to die at all....

was there really a reason he could not have helped save the day and either re-entered the Nexus with Picard's help,or "borrowed" a shuttle and sailed away into the unknown like Scotty?

I think it was plain mean-spiritedness on certain people's behalfs to kill off Kirk. :tear: I hate his death scene! :(

Edited by admiralpeewee

Originally, the idea was to bring Kirk into the 24th century since we had DS9 as the current series with VOY ready to premiere in a few months. The problem is that William Shatner, at the time, wanted to be done with Trek so instead of having his character fly off in a shuttle like Scotty did, he wanted to have his character killed off which he now regrets. I think the problem with the fans is that Kirk was killed by a falling bridge rather than a dramatic death scene like Spock or Data. Personally, I liked his death scene. After all he survived in space, he was killed by a broken bridge. It made him seem that more real to me.