Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

The Vulcan - Human relationship

I've never felt that the Vulcan - human relationship was being portrayed right on Enterprise. I've just never liked the hostile nature of it. If I were someone with any power I don't think I'd have them change it but it's just never set right with me.

How about you, what do you think?

I agree. I was quite surprised when Enterprise first started and they were portraying Vulcans in that light. There was no sign of hostility or mistrust in TOS and no mention of it having occurred in the past.

Maybe they wanted to portray it as a parent-child relationship. In Enterprise, the child is at it's teenaged stage, a bit rebellious and headstrong. In TOS, the child has grown up and recognizes the value and wisdom of the parent. I dunno, just a thought.

I agree.  I was quite surprised when Enterprise first started and they were portraying Vulcans in that light.  There was no sign of hostility or mistrust in TOS and no mention of it having occurred in the past.

Maybe they wanted to portray it as a parent-child relationship.  In Enterprise, the child is at it's teenaged stage, a bit rebellious and headstrong.  In TOS, the child has grown up and recognizes the value and wisdom of the parent.  I dunno, just a thought.

That sounds reasonable. Perhaps, after this whole Delphic Expanse thing is over, the Vulcans will realize that the Humans can (for the most part) take care of themselves.

I think they are being portayed the way it could really possibly be.The Vulcans basically held back the Humans from expanding the warp technology for a long time and the Humans resented them for it. I believe it to be Human nature that they don't trust the Vulcans at first. I've always thought the Vulcans were a bit arrogent and snotty,Spock's father seemed a bit snotty to me at first.

This is the first time that Humans and Vulcans are working together on a mission and to me it seems T'Pol is beginning to lighten up as she grows to understand Humanity,the other Vulcans remain stiff and snotty because they don't want to work alongside humans yet and therefore don't understand Humanity.

It won't be until 100 years later that a Vulcan joins a mostly Human crew on TOS,and even then Spock's dad was upset with him for doing so.

I think they hit the nail on the head with Enterprise showing the first steps of Human/Vulcan relationships.

I think they are being portayed the way it could really possibly be.The Vulcans basically held back the Humans from expanding the warp technology for a long time and the Humans resented them for it. I believe it to be Human nature that they don't trust the Vulcans at first. I've always thought the Vulcans were a bit arrogent and snotty,Spock's father seemed a bit snotty to me at first.

This is the first time that Humans and Vulcans are working together on a mission and to me it seems T'Pol is beginning to lighten up as she grows to understand Humanity,the other Vulcans remain stiff and snotty because they don't want to work alongside humans yet and therefore don't understand Humanity.

It won't be until 100 years later that a Vulcan joins a mostly Human crew on TOS,and even then Spock's dad was upset with him for doing so.

I think they hit the nail on the head with Enterprise showing the first steps of Human/Vulcan relationships.

I agree KlingonMike.

I also feel that by the time Archer finishes dealing with the Xindi (which will come to a peaceful conclusion, and possibly gaining an ally) and comes out of the Delphic Expanse, the Vulcans will have a higher respect for the Humans and maybe be a little in awe of them.