Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Spam in your PM box

I've been informed of people sending spam through the PM system. If you get any advertisements in your PM box where people are advertising their website or forum please forward it to me or one of the other Admins or Mods.

It's bad enough that we all have to put up with Spam in our email boxes but we shouldn't have to put up with it in our PM boxes also.

I've had a few of mobile phone adverts. They're on TV, in my E-mail and now in my PMs. :)

Edited by xXTrekkieCaraXx

I've had a few of mobile phone adverts. They're on TV, in my E-mail and now in my PMs.  :blush:

359392[/snapback]

Forward them to me.

359393[/snapback]

I will do if I get them again but I've deleted them :)

I have been spammed many times, but I have deleted all the PMs. But, if it happens again I'll get get you faster then Worf saying, "Today is a good day to die."

Edited by Capt_Picard

Dumb qustion - is it now forbidden to send "PM invites" to other forums?

I get invites to forums on rare occasions, but I don't mind, because I like checking out different kinds of boards and forums. If it gets to be a problem I'll definitely report it. If members advertise with sig links, it shouldn't be neccesary for them to send PM's to advertise. But that's just me. :blush:

I probably won't join any more boards because I belong to several already. :jaw:

I'm glad that the Mods are willing to deal with Spam, since it can be a big problem. :)

No spam for me. Spammers fear me. They'd know better than to even consider PMing me devil2.gif

Thanks fo the clarification VBG! :blush: I'll take the information to the other boards I belong to, since a couple of them want us to "recruit". :)

Edited by BakulaBabe

Thanks fo the clarification VBG! :blush: I'll take the information to the other boards I belong to, since a couple of them want us to "recruit".  :)

359502[/snapback]

You can post a link in the Links section and put out a general Invite, that's why that section is there but don't spam people's PM boxes. I've gotten several complaints about that kind of thing.

I feel i must admit and apologise as i know i have done this a few times, to a small number over time, even though i highly doubt i'm the primary person(s), that led to this topic, i'm sorry anyway :)

later, ARMS

Will do and have done...

And I don't mean to speak for board policy, but as I run a forum running the same software, the admins do have the ability to disable PMs on a user-by-user basis. You can actually disable your own PMs (you can't send or receive) but the mods can set it so you can turn it back on, or so you can't. Like I said, I don't speak for board policy, so I'm not trying to say that's what VBG et al will do... it's just within their abilities. On my side, if someone were spamming via PM, I'd invoke that method. :biggrin: There's a certain unwritten, very unofficial forum ettiquette which exists online, and in most cases, you can drop a link in your signature, or post in an "other sites" area if one is made available... but you don't spam via PMs. That's not kosher. :bow:

You can post a link in the Links section and put out a general Invite, that's why that section is there but don't spam people's PM boxes. I've gotten several complaints about that kind of thing.

I still don't see why this is considered Spam. I've only done it one time and to a person I thought was a friend..I won't do it again if you all have a problem with it..

:)

I still don't see why this is considered Spam. I've only done it one time and to a person I thought was a friend..I won't do it again if you all have a problem with it..

:)

It wouldn't be considered 'spam' if you are sending something to a friend, the complaints that I had gotten were from people that were just randomly sent PMs from people that they didn't know just out of the blue.

I've got "avast!" it scans every website I visit, every e-mail, PM. It deletes it then lets me know that I had a virus etc after

I've been informed of people sending spam through the PM system. If you get any advertisements in your PM box where people are advertising their website or forum please forward it to me or one of the other Admins or Mods.

It's bad enough that we all have to put up with Spam in our email boxes but we shouldn't have to put up with it in our PM boxes also.

Apparently this is still going on.

Apparently this is still going on.

From who? PM me the name and fwd me the PM if you still have it.