Sign in to follow this  
Itchygomba69

Christian Symbolisim in Horror movies

theres alot of Christan Symbolism in alot of horror movies, the earliest and one of the best is a Movie called Bride of Frankenstein, who was an atheist and was also the Director of the 1931 Frankenstein

in Bride of Frankenstein

The Monster has his Last Supper with the Blind man, Bread and Wine

and when they tie the monster up b4 they put him in the wagon He is held up like Christ on the crucifix

I just got this and frankenstein from Netflix

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed any of this kind of stuff in any other horror movies

well, the story of Frakenstein is like the story of Jesus. He was hated by the townspeople (for different reasons of course) and both were killed for it.

Back on topic. All the vampire movies have Christian symbolism when they use crosses to make the vampires go away. I love the movie Dracula 2000 and Bram Stoker's Dracula because they give a reason for it which I thought was interesting.

Edited by Gamera

I'm not sure about the movie, but in the book "I Am Legend" (which was called "The Omega Man" as a film and starred Charlton Heston), Christian symbols didn't work on the vampires, only Jewish religious symbols.

Kind of a twist on the classic vampire mythos.

but still basically the same God

and in the Anne Rice novels, no symbol hurts a vampire

359212[/snapback]

You're right.

I just thought I Am Legend was kind of neat, doing that.

When reading the book I didn't expect it.

Now-a-days, with movies like Blade and others, screenwriters have tried to totally eliminate religious relics of any kind from harming Vampires. Just sunlight & silver, mostly.

yeah, but those are action flicks, I just noticed watching the 1st Frankenstein, at the very begining shot, Henry is shvoling the dirt to get the freshly burried coffin, and there is a statue of the Grim Reaper, and you see him just one time throw dirt on it, Kinda like throwing dirt on the face of death, not really Christian symbolism but close

I never really watched a Wolfman movie, are there any symbolism in that