Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Continuing mysteries

This seems to be the direction of television. No more standard alone dramas but soap opera television - trying each week to drag out the mystery - and never any resolution.

Take, BSG, in the original series there was always the overriding arc - find Earth - but there were episodes with a distinct plot with beginning and end. After season two started with no resolution whatsoever I just quit watching.

I turned off Lost last night - I sat thru an entire season wondering what was going on - now they apparently expect us to set through several more seasons (okay my bet is they'll never provide any answers)

There's several alien invasion series like that this year. Remember the granddaddy of alien invasion series - The Invaders - okay I admit that was a long time ago and while the battle always continued - there were individual episodes with standalone plots. So with Invasion, I passed on it last night too - it's a good show but I thought I don't mind a few weeks of mystery but I'm not setting through several years just to find out who has or who hasn't been taken over by aliens (if they are aliens - could be mad scientist experiment released in the sea or some previously unknown Earth based animal - who knows)

Am I the only person that wants to see a show with eventual answers?

No, UH, you aren't the only person who misses well written, character-driven dramas featuring stand-alone plots that one can watch and enjoy!

I'm thinking Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere as two prime examples. You got to follow characters and their lives, but also saw interesting stories with a beginning, middle and end. I liked X-files, but even that featured a number of stand alone stories.

I guess there are always re-runs!

I have to agree but they do have to keep some things back for next week. Now after saying that I would like some more answers as well. It seems like for lost they are making it up as they go like they did in the old twin peaks show. After I found that they where making it up on twin peaks and did not have a overall idea I was mad. Now with BSG I really think they have a overall plot that they are going for, they are just giving us only a very little at a time unlike lost when one episode was the same show as the week before just from somebodys else view. Now that made me mad.

I have to agree but they do have to keep some things back for next week.  Now after saying that I would like some more answers as well.  It seems like for lost they are making it up as they go like they did in the old twin peaks show.  After I found that they where making it up on twin peaks and did not have a overall idea I was mad.  Now with BSG I really think they have a overall plot that they are going for, they are just giving us only a very little at a time unlike lost when one episode was the same show as the week before just from somebodys else view.  Now that made me mad.

358482[/snapback]

From my understanding, Twin Peaks fell apart when they were forced to reveal their mystery too soon. Lost is planned out though, at least in general (I know Boone's death wasn't entirely planned). Take the numbers for example. They are not revealed until episode 18 (Numbers) but if you watch the first 17 eps you will see the numbers in flashbacks and on the island now (although they rarely appear all together).

Now, the episodes that were the same story only from another point of view were Man of Faith/Man of Science and Adrift, which needed to be done to give both the raft and hatch threads the time they deserved without getting out of sync. But both eps made significant contributions to the show.

I'm All For Seriallised Televison...But Once It Reaches A Point Where You Still Have No Idea What's Going On By The End Of The Season....Something's Just Not Right :P ....Well...I Do Like 24 Somewhat...

Anyway...I Love Stor Arcs, But The People In Charge Gotta Remember To Makes Some Good Stand Alone Shows Too.