Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

16 and counting

I saw something bout this family on some documentary about a year ago

CNN

Apparently 15 was coming at the time. I guess I'm being judgmental but all the children are homeschooled and taught music lessons by their mother, and they hold church in their own home. There's no outside exposure or opportunities for relationships or friends for these kids.

I don't blame parents for wanting to protect their kids from the world today but usually if a kid is homeschooled there is still some opportunity for meeting other people such as sports, church, music, neighbors (I think they're somewhat secluded) - something.

But then I don't know how families were a hundred years ago.

Wow! 16 kids in 18 years. This woman must not remember how it feels NOT to be pregnant!

wow! i saw the special and i think it was 13 or 14 kids at the time. what got me when i saw that was the grocery shopping trip and how they spent over $800 dollars on food. i am kind of glad i'm not in that family i couldn't handle fifteen siblings.sometimes i don't like having four siblings. but that's normal.

tm B)

I also find their lack of experience mixing with other kids a bit troubling. Looking at my father's family's rural history, 100 years ago they certainly got to attend school, church and other events with neighbor kids, although they did live about a half mile away from their nearest neighbor.

Today kids growing up in families in certain religions (I'm thinking Amish or Menonite here) can be somewhat isolated too, but families do seem to nix together for church, school, barn raisings, and other social events. IN today's modern world it seems these kids could be at a disadvantage being raised with such little outside contact imo.