Sign in to follow this  
Dark Reality

Memory Alpha

If you haven't seen the Wikipedia, you don't know what you're missing. It's an online encyclopedia, completely free... but the magic about it is that anyone can (and does!) edit any page. And this works out better than you might think... granted, pages like those on George W. Bush, the Iraq war, Microsoft, and abortion are in constant dispute, but such pages have a header saying so, and anyone else can read "prior revisions". Also, the software is set up so that if a troublemaker goes deleting or otherwise defacing the system, they can be barred from ever editing anything again.

But enough about that... Wikipedia is cool enough as it is, and does have entries for Star Trek series, movies, and a few races... but it's not all that in-depth. One day a month or two ago I happened on this: Memory Alpha. It's Wikipedia for Trekkies, using the Wiki software to make a free, online Trek encyclopedia anyone can edit.

One use I found for it, I heard the name of the Predator-inspired race in the DS9 episode "Bar Association", but I didn't know what it was... just that it started with an N, and I'd know it if I saw it. So I went to M-A, looked up alien races (from the main page), and spotted it immediately. Try this: Search for "Nausicaan" on Wikipedia. Now search for it on M-A. The difference is pretty clear.

It's just an awesome reference, and definitely worth bookmarking.