Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

The Xindi Mentioned on TNG?

I was reading in a forum this morning and I came across this that raised an interesting topic

I noticed, in a recent airing of the TNG episode, "The Battle"; in which the Ferengi deliver Picard's old ship the 'Stargazer', that Data says a tug will tractor the Stargazer to a 'Zendi' starbase. Now, that's basically how he pronounced it, but it's a fair approximation to the pronunciation of Xindi. Clearly they weren't referring to the Enterprise species, since they wouldn't be dreamed up specifically for over a decade after this episode was aired. But it a nitpicker could argue that it's enough to create a retroactive mentioning of the species in the earlier series; which seemed to be such a huge argument at the time the Xindi storyline was unfolding, that they had not been mentioned in the future and therefore, couldn't possibly exist in the past.
Edited by Gamera

I was reading in a forum this morning and I came across this that raised an interesting topic

I noticed, in a recent airing of the TNG episode, "The Battle"; in which the Ferengi deliver Picard's old ship the 'Stargazer', that Data says a tug will tractor the Stargazer to a 'Zendi' starbase. Now, that's basically how he pronounced it, but it's a fair approximation to the pronunciation of Xindi. Clearly they weren't referring to the Enterprise species, since they wouldn't be dreamed up specifically for over a decade after this episode was aired. But it a nitpicker could argue that it's enough to create a retroactive mentioning of the species in the earlier series; which seemed to be such a huge argument at the time the Xindi storyline was unfolding, that they had not been mentioned in the future and therefore, couldn't possibly exist in the past.

355511[/snapback]

Of course nitpickers will say that they aren't the same because it was spelled differently in the TNG but we could blame that on a typo in the script. :frusty: At the beginning of The Battle (season 1) Picard says in the opening voiceover that the Enterprise is in the Xendi Sabu system and later Data references Xendi Starbase Nine.

In Bloodlines (the sequel to The Battle) the Xendi Kabu system is mentioned but apparently this is supposed to be the same system as Xendi Sabu (ref: Star Trek Encylopedia - yes, non-canon, I know).

Although it wasn't clearly indicated where the Delphic Expanse was, I'll quote a section from Memory Alpha regarding that:

The location of the Delphic Expanse in relation to the known geography of the Alpha/Beta Quadrant area of the 23rd and 24th Centuries is unclear at best. We know that the Expanse's thermobaric clouds -- its "border" -- was approximately fifty light-years from Earth. Some have theorized that the Delphic Expanse may have been located in the area of space that included Ferenginar and Cardassia Prime, to explain why it is that these two races, already space-faring by the time of the 22nd Century, would go undetected by the Federation until the 24th Century -- presumably, the Federation would have kept some distance away from the area of the former Delphic Expanse following the Xindi Crisis, expanding instead towards Romulan and Klingon space until the late 23rd or early 24th Century. This is supported by the non-canonical Star Trek: Star Charts, which, while written prior to the third season of Star Trek: Enterprise, depicts the Cardassian Union, Ferengi Alliance, Tzenkethi Coalition, and Breen Confederacy as being roughly fifty light-years from Earth.

Here is an image from the Star Trek Star Charts that shows where the Xendi Sabu system is:

Click For Spoiler

I wasn't able to scan the whole chart so to give a little more context to where the systems are: Xendi Sabu (marked with an arrow) is approximately 10 light years from Ferenginar and 45 light years from the Sol System (marked with an arrow). Cardassian Union, Tzenkethi Coalition, and Breen Confederacy are shown on a different page. Here's an image to help place them:

Click For Spoiler

The portion of the star chart showing where Xendi Sabu is from Chart 1. Cardassian Union, Tzenkethi Coalition, and Breen Confederacy are located on Chart 3.

I'm not sure about this one. I've a feeling though that they're probably different species. I don't think it's too far fetched that there were two species in the universe that have similar names. Also it is spelt differently and I'm sure the writers would have kept the same spelling if it was the same species as those mentioned in TNG.

there are A LOT of references to TNG on Enterprise, that's why it's no surprise that TNG crew members showed up in the last episode of ENT. I can't remember every reference to TNG but a couple of comments made on ENT were

- "I wish they would allow family members on a starship (and they do on TNG)

- "If they do, I just hope they have a psychologist on board (reference to Troi)

there are many more, but that was the main thing I remember the most