Sign in to follow this  
deagletime

I need more DS9!

Anyone know any good bit torrent sites for downloading ds9 episodes??? there arent too many people sharing on kazaa these days with the music recording company scare....i have scifiepz which is good for enterprise, but i have yet to find a good source for the other 3 series...

thx

Anyone know any good bit torrent sites for downloading ds9 episodes??? there arent too many people sharing on kazaa these days with the music recording company scare....i have scifiepz which is good for enterprise, but i have yet to find a good source for the other 3 series...

thx

D:

Our fearless leader is the man to ask about dwloaded DS9 ep's..Pm him. :)

Yeah, but not that DS9 season sets are out, wouldn't downloading be the equivellant of theft?

If you are downloading the DVD's maybe. But the quality of the downloads on KaZaa and other sites is lower then T.V. quality. BUt even that would be considered theft by TPTB. THat goes for any download that is not public domain. It also could be considered theft to tape the shows with a VCR and edit the commercials out.

I believe that the TV, Movie and Music industries are going to have to make major changes in their distribution methods. They will have to start to use the internet as a tool and not use it for witch hunts. There is so much potential for studios to put their product right on the internet, with commercials inserted and then they could even charge a small fee to join their service and download their shows. Look at NetFlix, they charde on average $20 a month for rentals of DVDs and you can rent up to 3 at a time and keep them as long as you want.

So much potential.

As for Bit Torrent sites, I will have to do some research. All of the sites (almost) have shut down. They come and go so quickly. You may also try emule. It's similar to KaZaa and the like. I've used it a little and it looks like it has potential, it's a little more complex then KaZaa though.

http://www.emule-project.net/

Excellent ideas, however I'd rather buy the DVD's than keep downloads as the DVD's will allways be superrior in comparrison to downloads.

DVD Burner :)

True, but like music, the quallity simply cannot equal the DVD's unless you downloaded exact copies of episodes directly from DVD's or cable and had a DVD burner. Me, I don't mind buying the season sets and I hope that the industry doesn't switch over to downloads. I'd rather they allow you the "option" of purchasing a download or purchasing the actual product, ya know?

True, but like music, the quallity simply cannot equal the DVD's unless you downloaded exact copies of episodes directly from DVD's or cable and had a DVD burner.  Me, I don't mind buying the season sets and I hope that the industry doesn't switch over to downloads.  I'd rather they allow you the "option" of purchasing a download or purchasing the actual product, ya know?

The DVD's exist so they are already downloadable, though anyone with a DVD burner is likely a member of Netflix and is likely renting all of the season sets 3 by 3 and is likely ripping, then burning them to DVD. These copies are likely to be nearly top notch DVD quality and it's likely that only a very close examination of the screen will show any quality loss in the video.

The industry will conrtinue to offer DVD's, CD's and Broadcast TV for some time to come. The day will come though that they won't. Remember BetaMax? Remember 8 Track? Remember LPs? Remember the days when there was no cable TV and people said "No one will pay for TV when they can get it free".

They (the industries) will change, they will have no choice. They are already doing it. Check out http://www.movieflix.com/, they already have TV and movies many of which are free. It's just a matter of time before the public moves into the 21st century and this kind of thing takes off with most of the major TV programming being distributed this way.

Think of how much money the movie industry would save if they charged $4.95 to download a movie that a person was then authorized to burn to his on blank DVD. The downloaded movie could be encoded with the person's IP address so if unauthorized copies were found they would know where the source was and would know who to go after.

The Movie makers would make money on Download sales, they would save money on DVD's, cases, paper for inserts and so on. They (the movie makers) could then make even more money by investing in the manufacture of blank DVDs and DVD cases that would in turn be sold to the downloader. They could in fact give the downloader the option of buying a custom made DVD case made to look all pretty and official. Man they could make a killing on something like this. They are just too stupid to understand it.

Excellent ideas, however I'd rather buy the DVD's than keep downloads as the DVD's will allways be superrior in comparrison to downloads.

Some of us, like me, just can't afford it

:bow: :) :) :) :o

Can't wait to finish my master and get a real job... :-T

I'd still rather buy the DVD's from the store then download. However, if the day comes when downloading is the "mainstream" instead of buying a product, then I'd hope they'd make inserts, CD covers, and so forth to do with your download along with DVD menu's and stuff. Still, I find it much easier to go to the store and buy the DVD then spend all this time downloading, burning, printing, and so forth.

I'd still rather buy the DVD's from the store then download.  However, if the day comes when downloading is the "mainstream" instead of buying a product, then I'd hope they'd make inserts, CD covers, and so forth to do with your download along with DVD menu's and stuff.  Still, I find it much easier to go to the store and buy the DVD then spend all this time downloading, burning, printing, and so forth.

True some people would rather go and buy it at the store. There is nothing wrong with that at all, I still predict that the day will come that it will be available for download, as far as time is concerned there have already been tests where an entire double sided DVD has been transmitted in a matter of seconds. I read about it several months or more ago.

There were people that would have rather taken a ship to travel across the Atlantic, people that would rather sit in a candle lit room rather then have electricity. People that would rather write a letter then use a phone and people that would rather listen to a radio serial show then watch a TV show. The above things still exist but I think you would agree that TV is better then radio, the telephone is better then writing a letter, a light bulb is better then a candle and a plane is better then a ship when it comes to getting there in a reasonable amount of time.

If society and technology is to advance then industry has to keep pace. In some instances should be ahead of the curve, not lagging behind it.

If we remain complacent with society as it is and technology as it is where will that leave us in the future?

Kind of like giving everyone a choice between VHS and BetaMax. Or 8 Track or cassette. LP or CD. Analog TV or HDTV. The trend is that the old sticks around for a while but eventually is pushed out by the innovative.

Don't worry though, if my prediction comes true (the way I envision it happening) you will still be able to go to a store for years to come and buy DVD's or whatnot. But the day will come when those stores are fewer and further between. That's how it was with Beta, we had 3 Beta machines and no VHS in the 80's. Beta was the better of the two formats but it was VHS that caught on. By 88 or 89 it was harder to find rental places with Beta or stores with blank Beta tapes. Look in a Blockbuster today and see how many VHS tapes there are now. They are being replaced with DVDs. (I haven't been in a video store for over a year so I'm not sure how it is now).

Well, when you download and make your own DVD, will you be able to download menues to play your movie and access extras and such like a DVD? Also, I see "downloads" being a big thing, but I don't see why they would ever stop producing the physical product. For me, I make a whole event when I go buy something. I get together with a friend or family member, go down to the store, browse arround, buy my item, then get lunch on the way home. We get out and about, have some fun, meet some people, and eat lunch. You don't experrience any of that via downloading, know what I mean? Like I said, I'm all for pay-to-download, I just think phyiscal products that you could buy should remain as an alternative. Maybe DVD's will be replaced by smaller CD's or computer chips or something?

Myself I would much prefer the downloading of items due to time constraints. I hate going to stores, mainly because I do not have time for it. I work from 1:00pm until 10:00 pm and then I usually hit the gym at work for a couple hours, so I do not have time to go to stores on the days that I work, and on my days off I have to many other things that I need to do, like sleep, so I don't go to stores. I would much prefer being able to whip out the bank card make the purchase and start the download before I go to work and have the movie waiting for me when I get home, then take the twenty minutes burning it while I eat dinner then watch it. I know that there are alot of people that feel the same way that I do. I meen in our society every business caters to the individuals that have a nice Monday thru Friday day shift job that gets off at five o'clock and goes home or does whatever they need to do. There are few businesses that make it convenient for those of us that do not have this luxury, even though the "normal day shift" is becoming less common in mainstream society.

Well, when you download and make your own DVD, will you be able to download menues to play your movie and access extras and such like a DVD?  Also, I see "downloads" being a big thing, but I don't see why they would ever stop producing the physical product.  For me, I make a whole event when I go buy something.  I get together with a friend or family member, go down to the store, browse arround, buy my item, then get lunch on the way home.  We get out and about, have some fun, meet some people, and eat lunch.  You don't experrience any of that via downloading, know what I mean?  Like I said, I'm all for pay-to-download, I just think phyiscal products that you could buy should remain as an alternative.  Maybe DVD's will be replaced by smaller CD's or computer chips or something?

The way I am envisioning thei working, you would get the exact same product as you would when you buy it.

As for why a company would want to discontinue making a physical product, think about it. How much does it cost a company to pay for the physical DVD's they burn a movie onto. How much more for paper for the inserts? How much more for the DVD cases? How much more for shipping to the stores? And what happens when all of the product doesn't sell?

They make all their money back and then a whole lot more to be sure, but to a company looking at profit margins and stockholder dividends, to be able to save the entire cost of producing a physical product would be a most tempting prospect.

Bill Gates has desired to sell his software this way for several years.

As for having a special day out with family and or friends, that would still likely happen. We're only talking about products like CD's DVD's and TV shows. There will always be physical products you go out to buy, but industrial evolution dictates that things changs, improve and mutate.

Also think about this, there is a reason that the music and movie industries are so up in arms about illegal downloads. That reason is because so many people are doing it. The question is, why are so many people doing it? I see the answer to that question to be that they are doing it because the evolution of these forms of entertainment is flowing in that direction. If there were only 100 people, or 1,000 people or even 100,000 people downloading TPTB wouldn't bat an eye but there are tens of millions of people downloading. It makes no sense to me to declare war on such a vast arena of potential customers. TPTB are just lazy, they thought they would chop the head off the snake when they killed Napster. What did killing Napster do though? Now we have KaZaa, iMesh, eDonkey, emule and countless other forms of downloading. If they kill KaZaa something else will take it's place and it will only multiply.

Ok, I've typed way too much now so I will stop.

Well, like I said, as long as I can go out and buy the DVD's or CD's, I'll be happy. Maybe they'll have it set-up where you can download it and make your own DVD/CD or place an order and have "them" make you a customised DVD/CD for an extra cost? Now there's an idea! :laugh: