Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Books that Changed America

This is book magazine's list of 20 books that changed America. Before reading the list and getting apoplexy - read the first paragraph. They chose only books published after the US became a country and didn't include any published in the last 25 years.

I've read five of the 20; started two and got bored; read excerpts from 2 and actually held 2 more in my hands at the library before putting them back. (And I saw the movie All the Presidents Men. :) ) There were four I had never even heard of.

Maybe we could all come up with a list of 10 books we'd recommend. I'm giving mine some thought - but I'd like to hear suggestions on some thought provoking books.

ABC News - Book Magazine article

Okay - These aren't necessarily my idea of the ten best I've read - but interesting, intriguing or thought-provoking

NF

Man's Search for Meaning - Viktor Frankl

The Fatal Shore (abt founding of Australia)

Money and Morals in America

The Garden of Unearthly Delights

My Father, My Son, by Admr Elmo Zumwalt

Women's Life and Work in the first 20,000 years

The Hot Zone

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat

The Midwife's Tail (Diary of a midwife in 1700's Massachusetts)

Fiction

Frankenstein, Mary Shelly, (yes I did like the book)

To Kill a Mockingbird

Pride and Prejudice

The Foundation Trilogy

Dune - original trilogy

To Kill a Mockingbird

Dune

these two are great. they are totally different from each other, but they still are great books.

I have only read two of the books on this list. But I can also think of others that have opened the eyes of our American public. One was the "Kinsey Report", written back in the 60's. Another was "Black like Me," a book written by a white man who had his skin darkened, and traveled through the southern United States, posing as an African American.....this book was also written in the 60's. I also believe "The Diary of Ann Frank," was another book that deeply touched the world in many,many ways, and still does.

I could recommend many others that I find to be good reading, including my on book. (smiles) But I think those that I've adlready mentioned above are a good beginning. :)

Another was "Black like Me," a book written by a white man who had his skin darkened, and traveled through the southern United States, posing as an African American.....this book was also written in the 60's.

That was a great book - very eye opening. Please feel free to recommend more. After reading Man's Search for Meaning and The Hiding Place it - both about Nazi concentration camps I'm not sure I'm up to the Diary of Anne Frank

Another was "Black like Me," a book written by a white man who had his skin darkened, and traveled through the southern United States, posing as an African American.....this book was also written in the 60's.

That was a great book - very eye opening. Please feel free to recommend more. After reading Man's Search for Meaning and The Hiding Place it - both about Nazi concentration camps I'm not sure I'm up to the Diary of Anne Frank

Another book that you might be interested in reading is "I know Why The Caged Bird Sings." It's the life story of Mya Angelou. But another book that I recall shaking up America was written back in the 70's by Shere Hite. I was simply titled the Hite report. It was a nationwide study of female seuality in America.....which really took many people by surprise. Of course it was also a best seller. Also, I just want to add that I think you would truly enjoy reading the Diary of Ann Frank." This book is much more than a story about the war. It is an account of a young girl growing up.

Another book that you might be interested in reading is "I know Why The Caged Bird Sings."  It's the life story of Mya Angelou.  But another book that I recall shaking up America was written back in the 70's by Shere Hite.  I was simply titled the Hite report.  It was a nationwide study of female seuality in America.....which really took many people by surprise.  Of course it was also a best seller.  Also, I just want to add that I think you would truly enjoy reading the Diary of Ann Frank."  This book is much more than a story about the war.  It is an account of a young girl growing up.[/

Did you read the older version or the new translation of The Diary of Anne Frank that came out a couple of years ago. I wonder how different they are. I also have read "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" - also a good book but sad - the things that happened when she was a little girl.

The Foundation Trilogy

Dune - original trilogy

I read those two...

Awesome!

Asimov and Herbert are 2 authors I love to read (I read other stuff from them).

Did you read the older version or the new translation of The Diary of Anne Frank that came out a couple of years ago.  I wonder how different they are. I also have read "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" - also a good book but sad - the things that happened when she was a little girl.

I read the older version. I wasn't even aware that there was an update. I would certainly hope that nothing has been deleted or modified from the original version. I read Ann's diary when I was a teenager, and was deeply moved even then. What kind of readings are you into the most? Maybe then I could know what else to recommend to you?

What kind of readings are you into the most?  Maybe then I could know what else to recommend to you?

I try to include a variety, for non-fiction, because I'm interested in most everything. I've read biographies, history, current events, science, social sciences and essays etc.

For fiction - I either try to read a classic I've never read or I like to lose myself in science fiction. I've read a couple of popular fiction titles but they're not my first choice.