Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Picard

Cross Your Fingers

Ken Schram Commentary: Cross Your Fingers

September 26, 2005

By Ken Schram kenschram.jpg

SEATTLE - Cross your fingers. I know. It's and old and stupid superstition, but it may be our best and brightest hope. So: Cross your fingers and hope that the powers-that-be get the Seattle Bus Tunnel right this time around. I say "this time around" because when the tunnel was built back in the late '80's, the wizards of mass transit had the foresight to install rails. That way, the tunnel could be converted to light rail in the future. Well, the future's finally here, but the conversion to light rail is still $83 million and two years away. Why? Because the rails put in back in the late 80s have to be torn up. Seems they were put in without being insulated properly. And hey, as long as the rails are getting ripped up, why not go ahead and tear out the tunnel's sprinkler system since it doesn't leave enough clearance for trains. Aside from the rails and the sprinkler system, don't forget that sections of the tunnel's roadbed have to now be lowered; more work is needed on the tunnel's emergency ventilation system, and a new signal system has to be installed. But other than that, the 15-year-old tunnel is good to go. Now, given the track record (sorry for the pun), if you've got a better idea, I'll listen. Until then: Cross your fingers. Want to share your thoughts with Ken Schram? You can e-mail him at kenschram@komo4news.com

So, what do you think?