Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

LeVar Burton to Play James Brown In UpcomingMovie?

Would LeVar Make A Good James Brown?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Would LeVar Make A Good James Brown?

• yes
    • no
    • maybe
    • other

At 72, James Brown’s performance is nothing short of spectacular as he leads the way for the younger generation with his own soulful brand of music, writes FARIDUL ANWAR FARINORDIN.

IF the success of Ray — the big-screen biography feature on legendary musician Ray Charles, is any indication, it is just a matter of time before we see another film project focusing on other cultural icon like James Brown who is dubbed "the Godfather of Soul".

True enough, there is one in the pipeline.

Click For Spoiler

Brown’s minders remained tight-lipped about the project, but in an interview with the New Straits Times shortly after a Press conference held in conjunction with his maiden concert in the country recently, the 72-year-old entertainer shared his choice of lead actors to play the role.

"I would like to see LeVar Burton doing it, you know the guy in Star Trek (he plays Lt Commander Geordi La Forge in the popular sci-fi series and brought Martin Luther King, Jr. to life in the 2001 blockbuster Ali). I feel that he has a strong sense of where I’m coming from."

He continued: "I had some other names in mind. Another actor I think can play the role is Cuba Gooding, Jr (who won an Academy Award for his role in 1996’s Jerry Maguire)."

When asked when the project would take off, his manager ‘Super Frank’ Copsidas said: "It’s in the process of materialising right now".

Those who feel that the bio-pic should have been made by now should understand this: All business proposals concerning the living legend go through Copsidas, who, as Brown described "is a hard man to get along with."

The big-sized and menacing-looking Copsidas, who was present at this one-on-one interview, was also the one who ended the session (supposed to be 15 minutes) with a throat-cutting gesture after a few questions. Gulp.

But before that happened, Brown (above) shared his views on the current state of the music industry. "They (industry players including artistes) should go back to learn where the music comes from," said the recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 1993 Grammy Awards ceremony.

"The blues (genre) is finally coming through and people are beginning to understand its origins. Other (musical genres) like rock, gospel, jazz and country & western should see where their real roots come from, because right now they are lost in seeking commercial success through television."

Does it mean he wouldn’t do music videos for MTV?

"I don’t mind doing it. But they (the programmes) have to be tailor-made for me. I want the viewers to see and understand what my music is all about and learn the history of music. This is because a lot of musicians today are lost from the beginning (of their career)."

Sure enough, Brown reaches out to the younger generation his own way. He lent his voice in one of the episodes in the hit cartoon series The Simpsons (1993) and made a special appearance in the comedy entertainment show In Living Color that same year.

Three years ago, he shared the stage with popular young artistes of today in MTV Video Music Awards, where he showed off his signature dance steps to the awe-struck celebrity audience from hip-hop artistes to soul/R&B singers including Justin Timberlake, Beyonce Knowles and Jay-Z among others.

When asked to comment on the contemporary music scene, he said: "When I listen to hip-hop and things like that, it reminds me of things that I used to do 25 years ago. They (the artistes) try to do what I did. I’m proud of them, the rappers, for doing that. Even country music and all the rock groups — they try to emulate James Brown a lot and (are) very good at it."

Brown’s performance in Kuala Lumpur Hilton’s ballroom was nothing short of spectacular. Oozing sensuality, soul and raw energy, the show saw members of the audience — mostly dressed to the nines — getting jiggy with the irrepressible cultural icon as he belted out his memorable hits.

Immediately after a rousing introduction by Brown’s "cape man" and MC Danny Ray, the audience was taken into Brown’s legendary world — the universe that defined the man and his songs, as well as the things that warranted the singer such iconic status.

Clearly, his performance was beyond comparison to any great artiste today. Despite his age, Brown managed to sustain a high level of energy throughout the 100-minute show, a feat that left the audience clamouring for more.

And he did not disappoint his 1,000-odd screaming fans. With his trademark nifty footwork peppered throughout the show, he also displayed a few choreographed dance moves with his lively back-up vocalists that got even the seated audience (those paying RM500 each) on their feet.

Accompanied by his uniformed orchestra members, Brown opened the show with the upbeat tune Make It Funky and kept the temperature rising with other fast numbers such as Gonna Have A Funky Good Time and Get Up Offa That Thing.

The opportunity to enjoy a slice of magic directly from the living legend made it easy to feel honoured to be part of his audience. Everything about Brown that made him a cultural icon was magnified 10 times more on stage that night.

Although Brown showed signs that age has finally caught up on him — some singing parts were performed by his back-up vocalists and he didn’t perform the split — he still lived up to his nickname, the Godfather of Soul.

Listening to him belting out the slow number Please, Please, Please, one could easily feel the hair standing at the back of your neck.

The high notes still sounded exactly as they were in his recordings, but with a more heartfelt sense of pain and earnest conviction, perhaps echoing his emotional turmoil following the series of unfortunate events that unfolded in the recent years.

Yes, you could even see his dramatic "cape-shedding" act in the show — twice. For the uninitiated, this is Brown’s signature showmanship (actress Whoopi Goldberg gave a good imitation of his performance in Sister Act).

This is when, during a rendition of a soulful song where Brown is overcome by emotions, a band member would cover him with his sequined trademark cape and accompany him to make an exit. Immediately, he’d shrug it off, walk back to stage centre and continue his performance.

For this show, Brown was clad in diamante-studded tuxedo with a bow tie (which he later removed). There was no costume change, as he kept his audience entertained with songs that is now part of his illustrious legacy.

Other songs he performed that night include Make It Funky, , Livin’ In America, I Feel Good and Get Up (I Feel Like A) Sex Machine.

Edited by Takara_Soong

Maybe, I haven't heard LeVar sing but I doubt he can make the right sounds. Aries Spears from MAD tv does a great James Brown

Maybe, I haven't heard LeVar sing but I doubt he can make the right sounds. Aries Spears from MAD tv does a great James Brown

353809[/snapback]

He wouldn't have to sing - just lipsynch. There are lots of movies about singers where the actor/actress who played them didn't sing. Examples: Jennifer Lopez in Selena, Gary Busey in The Buddy Holly Story, Lou Diamond Phillips in La Bamba, Halle Berry in Introducing Dorothy Dandridge (and that's just off the top of my head).

I have to say though I have a hard time picturing LeVar Burton in the role but who knows.

Firstly, the article grossly misses the fact that Ray Charles had died first before they put out a movie on him. Brown, while 72, still seems to be kicking like an army mule.

Secondly, LeVar would have to go through a lot of vocal coaching to get Brown's sometimes gravelly voice down well enough to play him. Not to mention the weight he'd have to gain to do later Brown. That's just not an enviable role to do.

He might make a good James Brown, but I'm having a hard time picturing him in that role.