Sign in to follow this  
LadyNarana

Brent Spiner and the Fourth of July

May I recommend the new Broadway cast recording of 1776? There are some factual discrepencies, but the play is relatively accurate, and Brent Spiner sings a fantastic John Adams.

I am partial to this play/movie for several reasons, and I am very wary of "new" recordings. IMO, very seldom does a remake or sequel even begin to live up to the original. I bought this CD with fear and trembling, waiting to be disappointed.

It still hasn't happened.

Now, I don't think it's better than the original, (or the movie soundtrack, which features most of the original cast), but this equals it. There are a few things about the original that are better than this recording. There are a few things about this recording that are better than the original. (I just wish they'd release the movie soundtrack on CD! Then I'd listen to all three...)

Listen to Mr. Spiner sing Is Anybody There? and hear John Adams' paraphrased words about what he thought would happen on the anniversary of the birth of the United States of America. (Even if the Fourth isn't the actual date. :) ) I still get goosebumps, and I've known every word for most of my life.

It's this CD that pushed me back into watching TNG again.