Sign in to follow this  
LordOfTheBorg

Threshold's Braga Back In Saddle

threshold_tn.jpg

Brannon Braga, co-creator and executive producer of CBS' upcoming SF series Threshold, told SCI FI Wire that he finds it a bit odd to be back on the Paramount Studios lot, where the show films, not far from the stages where he worked on various incarnations of Star Trek for the last 17 years. Most recently, Braga ran Star Trek: Enterprise, which ended its four-season run this past spring.

On Threshold, "it's mainly new people I'm working with," Braga said in an interview. "But it's a little weird to see the Star Trek stages occupied by Tom Cruise and Mission: Impossible 3. But, ... you know, [it] feels like it's home still. It's comfortable here."

Braga co-created Threshold with David S. Goyer and David Heyman. The show centers on a crack government team, led by Carla Gugino's Molly Caffrey, who are called together to deal with the sudden appearance of an alien threat. The show shoots on three soundstages at Paramount in Los Angeles, the same studio where Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Voyager and Enterprise shot. Last week, SCI FI Wire visited Threshold's stages and talked with Braga while he edited an episode.

Braga admitted that he's surprised to find himself back so soon after Enterprise ended. "I didn't think I'd be working on a show this soon," he said. "I was hoping to take a break. But here I am." Threshold, which also stars Brian Van Holt, The Next Generation's Brent Spiner and Charles S. Dutton, premieres Sept. 16 at 9 p.m. ET/PT and will air Fridays

Brannon recently talked with Chase Maseterson in her interview / chat show over at the Fandom.com. You can download and listen to the audio from their archive if you're interested..

Fandom.com Archive

I'm looking forward to checking this show out. However, it is in a bad time slot for a sci-fi show (direct competition with Stargate Atlantis, granted it airs on CBS which has a much larger audience)

However, if I recall correctly it was guaranteed to run to 2007 if it was picked up by CBS, which it has.

You may call me bitter but I'm going to boycott this one, I feel Braga was distracted from giving Trek his full attention because of it and MAY have hoped ENT died on the vine just so he could move threshold forward. :lol:

You may call me bitter but I'm going to boycott this one, I feel Braga was distracted from giving Trek his full attention because of it and MAY have hoped ENT died on the vine just so he could move threshold forward. :(

351040[/snapback]

Brannon Braga didn't join the series until after Enterprise was cancelled.

I'll be giving it a chance just to watch Brent Spiner.

You may call me bitter but I'm going to boycott this one, I feel Braga was distracted from giving Trek his full attention because of it and MAY have hoped ENT died on the vine just so he could move threshold forward. :(

351040[/snapback]

351221[/snapback]

:( You must have missed seeing the statement: Created by Rick Berman & Brannon Braga on every episode opening credit.

Through season 2, many episodes have him listed with either a written or story by credit.

Though he then continues to pitch ideas and write with Berman for season 3 his involvement in ENT is now waning as he sneaks off to develop threshold. IMO

You may call me bitter but I'm going to boycott this one, I feel Braga was distracted from giving Trek his full attention because of it and MAY have hoped ENT died on the vine just so he could move threshold forward. :rolleyes:

351040[/snapback]

351221[/snapback]

:hug: You must have missed seeing the statement: Created by Rick Berman & Brannon Braga on every episode opening credit.

Through season 2, many episodes have him listed with either a written or story by credit.

Though he then continues to pitch ideas and write with Berman for season 3 his involvement in ENT is now waning as he sneaks off to develop threshold. IMO

351278[/snapback]

You misunderstood my post. You accused him of abandoning Enterprise for Threshold when in fact he didn't join Threshold until after Enterprise had finished production. From Brannon Braga's website:

March 14, 2005

Daily Variety

Trek maven crosses Par 'Threshold'

"Star Trek" vet Brannon Braga is remaining in the Paramount universe even as he prepares to plot a course for a new galaxy.

With "Enterprise" now wrapped, Braga has come onboard as exec producer and showrunner of Par's CBS drama pilot "Threshold," an ambitious hour that examines the international impact of a possible alien invasion. Feature vets Bragi Schut, David Goyer, David Heyman and Mark Rosen are also aboard as exec producers.

Edited by Takara_Soong

You misunderstood my post. You accused him of abandoning Enterprise for Threshold when in fact he didn't join Threshold until after Enterprise had finished production.

What a difference a more complete sentence makes.

With "Enterprise" now wrapped, Braga has come onboard as exec producer and showrunner of Par's CBS drama pilot "Threshold," an ambitious hour that examines the international impact of a possible alien invasion. Feature vets Bragi Schut, David Goyer, David Heyman and Mark Rosen are also aboard as exec producers.

Well I was under the impression Braga had created the idea for threshold, I had no idea he was just another producer brought in after it had been created by others.

However, I'm still not convinced ENT's "wrapping" did not have something to do with making him available to work on threshold.

Braga was contractually bound to create non-Trek projects and he did not write an Enterprise episode from Zero Hour to These are The Voyages. This is most likely when he was helping to develop Threshold (which he had to do or he would have been in breach of his contract). They wouldn't cancel Enterprise just for him to jump ship.

They wouldn't cancel Enterprise just for him to jump ship.

351781[/snapback]

Exactly.

Who did what when is all moot anyway since the Trek PTB (Berman, Braga, Coto) and the cast have all said that they knew Enterprise was only renewed for season 4 so Paramount would have enough episodes to sell the series into second run syndication.