Sign in to follow this  
APW

Anybody know how to cook fish?

My sister and nephew love fish,but haven't had any in a long time.Our mom used to make it all the time,before she got really sick from cancer.Now that she's gone,I do the cooking...but I never learned to properly cook fish,since I don't like it.

So,I'm going to buy some whiting fillets.Can anybody tell me how to cook it,and how to tell when it's finished?

:yawn:

Flour it cook it in oil untill golden brown on each side.

or do it the easy way here in michigan you can buy fish

to microwave real fish not prossed junk. its a little more expenssive

but worth it. And it tastes really good. you just follow

the directions on the package. less messy to.

Most of the places I checked online say 5 minutes on one side then flip, and then 5 minutes on the other if you are pan frying them. And 20 minutes at 350 if you are baking it. And almost all I see, unless you are battering them to fry them.. say to lightly flour them.

hmm.. My family eats fish(and shellfish) quite often actually, and I do not recall ever flouring them. I guess it all comes down to personal taste. Tilapia is the fish we tend to eat the most of, followed by salmon, mahi mahi and shark. Shrimp being the shellfish we eat the most of. but the times they listed seem just about right, often we leave it a little bit longer, or flip the fillet two times versus the once.

Depending on where you get the whiting from, check the price tag sticker. I know that stores like Publix often times has suggestions for cooking and cooking times on them. Also sometimes they have recipe cards nearby.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

It depends on how thick the fillets are

I always sprinkle garlic and black powder on fish fillets, and then give them each a few shakes of soy sauce and then some butter pats on them.

I grill them until the color has all changed to the same consistancy