Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Brent Spiner Thinks Trek Will Be Back

Although Brent Spiner believes that Star Trek will return, he warned fans not to expect him to play Data again as he publicised his new series.

Spiner plays a microbiologist looking into the possibility that Earth is being invaded by aliens in Threshold, which is produced by former Star Trek executive producer Brannon Braga. He told The Toronto Sun (via CANOE Jam!) that after years of wearing makeup and yellow eyes to play Data, he appreciates being able to appear with his own white hair and glasses on the new series.

"The difference in doing this sci-fi show as opposed to that sci-fi show is probably how [classic movie Tarzan] Johnny Weismuller felt when he started doing Jungle Jim," observed Spiner. "I'm still in the jungle, but this time I get to wear pants."

But as for the possibility of putting on Data's makeup, Spiner said that he believes those days are over. "I'm a guy in his mid-90s," joked the 56-year-old actor. "I don't think it would look great on me anymore." Spiner has said for several years that because an android should not age, he does not believe that he should continue in the role as he does so himself.

Still, when it comes to the Star Trek franchise itself, Spiner noted, "I think it's only in repose, it's hibernating...Paramount would not agree that it's dead as a franchise. They have some plan down the line [for it to be] reimagined." He expressed regret upon hearing of the death of James Doohan (Scotty), calling him "a lovely guy."

*Hopes to God* Please, please let this happen...oh please....please let this be successful! :laugh:

Oh Spiner, you're a genious! :bow::bow:

that because an android should not age

I thought I heard in an episode of TNG that Data's exterior was supposed to look as if it is aging as a human would...

Brent Spiner is right.

John Billingsley said the same thing the other day.

Star Trek is going to be rested by Paramount for a few years, then they'll bring it back, though much work is needed.

Those fans who are claiming that the franchise is dead are letting their post-ENT depression cloud their judgment.

The franchise is certainly in a weak state, but not dead.

that because an android should not age

I thought I heard in an episode of TNG that Data's exterior was supposed to look as if it is aging as a human would...

345120[/snapback]

He does have such programming. However, If you really look at a pic of him as Data from say Nemesis versus Spiner without the makeup....you can probably see what he is referring to. He does not look as aged without the makeup, the makeup kind of emphasizes every wrinkle.

But you know, it really does not limit him... he could come back as Data, with human coloring (kind of like what was being grafted onto him during First Contact) and he could remain with yellow eyes if he wanted. That way the character could continue as well as continue to evolve.

I can't see Brent Spiner playing Data again. If there is going to be another Trek movie it definately won't be for another few years when he'll be well into his sixties. I can't see him wanting to reprise the role at that stage. I agree with him as regards to Star Trek though. It's definately not gone for good, trek will be back, it's just on a rest.