Sign in to follow this  
zipkirk1966

should paramount keep Star Trek?

Hey all

Got a question for ya, should Star Trek stay with paramount or should it be bought out by someone else like the roddenberrys or someone else? Just a thought

Brian

Hey all

That's cool it was just a thought I had but I hope paramount will do something wonderful with Star Trek if they plan a comeback with it I sure hope so lol. I too think it's safe with paramount even thou they love to distroy sets and all anyway thanks for the responses Oh Hail to the King baby LOL

Brian

Star Trek would be in better hands with the fans then Paramount!

Which fans?

ME?

YOU?

Who? Who decides?

Why would one group of fans be more deserving than others?

Hey all

That's cool it was just a thought I had but I hope paramount will do something wonderful with Star Trek if they plan a comeback with it I sure hope so lol. I too think it's safe with paramount even thou they love to distroy sets and all anyway thanks for the responses Oh Hail to the King baby LOL

You're very welcome.

Paramount will put the television franchise on the shelf for a while. Probably about five years.

A movie may be released in about 2007.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Sci-fi channel get the rights to Trek. It is, afterall, their forte and they might do a nice job with it.

If Sci-Fi were willing to promote the show well and so forth, then yeah letting them broadcast it would be fine I suppose.

But the ownership of the show would remain with Paramount, as would production.

No other film company would be willing to pay what Paramount would sell Trek for. They saw how miserable Nemesis did at the box office and what Enterprise did on the same network that Voyager launched. It's too much of a gamble for any other film company to pay money for. If Paramount sold it to a fan group, then it would just be horrible. The fan group wouldn't have the resources or finances Paramount has.

No other film company would be willing to pay what Paramount would sell Trek for.  They saw how miserable Nemesis did at the box office and what Enterprise did on the same network that Voyager launched.  It's too much of a gamble for any other film company to pay money for.  If Paramount sold it to a fan group, then it would just be horrible.  The fan group wouldn't have the resources or finances Paramount has.

343821[/snapback]

It doesn't matter how Nemesis did at the box office or how Enterprise did on UPN. Paramount/Viacom pulls in massive profits from Trek through licensing deals, DVDs, merchandising, syndication, etc. Selling Trek would be giving up what they probably consider "easy money".

Paramount will not sell the Star Trek franchise to anyone.

I wouldn't want any other company to have it.

Paramount have a proven history of making Star Trek successful.

It will be that way again, if they make the right choices.

Though even if they decided to end Star Trek right now (which they won't) I would support that decision completely.

I agree with HRH on this they got the money and the resourse to help Star Trek make a comeback but I really think they need some fresh Ideal freash faces yes give it some time to rest.

Brian

Paramount have a proven history of making Star Trek successful.

It will be that way again, if they make the right choices.

Big if,

Personally, I believe Star Trek is dead - even if Paramount brings back a scifi show and calls it Star Trek - it won't be Trek. It's being controlled by people who don't know anything about real drama.

Big if,

Personally, I believe Star Trek is dead - even if Paramount brings back a scifi show and calls it Star Trek - it won't be Trek. It's being controlled by people who don't know anything about real drama.

Trust me, if Paramount bring back a sci-fi show and call it Star Trek, then it IS Star Trek.

There's no "won't be" about it.

Paramount haven't become the successful company they are now without knowing a few things about drama.

They know that the franchise is in a bad state and action MUST be taken to deal with it.

Star Trek is not dead.....at least not yet.

It's not dead to me and I won't let it die thank you lol I think for us we all love star trek and it will be with us until the day we all die.

Brian

the More Ithink about it how would you like a show just based on the Klingons, and them in Space, or Romulans, it would be a nice change of pace, and alot more original then PRequls

I'm not confident that a show exclusively based on Klingons, Romulans or any other alien race could be sustained for an entire series. Perhaps some mini-series or chapters in an anthology show.

Paramount haven't become the successful company they are now without knowing a few things about drama.

I'm not sure success (as in making money) and quality are synonymous - for several years studios have churned out "special effects" and "flatulant humor" movies and made a tidy sum. Although from what I've read movie success in general is on a downward trend.

ENT had its moments as did VOY but both showed disturbing trends away from intellectual drama.

As to what makes Trek "Trek" well that could be a whole new thread.

I'm not sure success (as in making money) and quality are synonymous - for several years studios have churned out "special effects" and "flatulant humor" movies and made a tidy sum. Although from what I've read movie success in general is on a downward trend.

ENT had its moments as did VOY but both showed disturbing trends away from intellectual drama.

Well for many genres "quality" isn't always necessary. As long as they make money, a studio are not going to worry too much about critical praise.

However Star Trek is one franchise where quality really DOES matter because if it's not of a high standard then the fans will not watch it. Which is precisely the problem Paramount has had recently with what we on StarTrek.COM identified as the "Fourth Era" of Star Trek. That being VOY, INS, NEM, and ENT.

If Paramount don't do something to resolve the problem of quality, then the next Star Trek project, movie or television, will be a disaster and honestly, I'm not certain how many more failures this franchise can endure.

I'm not confident that a show exclusively based on Klingons, Romulans or any other alien race could be sustained for an entire series. Perhaps some mini-series or chapters in an anthology show.

344304[/snapback]

We can have 6 (+ movies) about the federation but not hold up one about the Romulans? Something new like losing the "always on the good side" view point is just what Star Trek needs. The federation is old and no one finds it interesting anymore. Everything is documented and laid out, there is no place left to go inside the federation.

It must expand to live.

The federation is old and no one finds it interesting anymore. Everything is documented and laid out, there is no place left to go inside the federation.

It must expand to live.

I agree.

Which is why for many months now, I've been suggesting that the next Star Trek series must feature the Federation being shattered and the Alpha and Beta Quadrants being thrown into turmoil.

Too many Star Trek fans regard the Federation as some all-powerful, never-ending safety blanket.

It's time to challenge that and stir up some serious trouble.

Edited by HRH The KING

Hey all

Got a question for ya, should Star Trek stay with paramount or should it be bought out by someone else like the roddenberrys or someone else? Just a thought

Brian

343633[/snapback]

I doubt they could swing it, but I think that Star Trek should be bought outright by the people behind the www.SciFi.com channel. It was them, after all, who saved Andromeda from cancellation.

Paramount has proven its ineptitude time and again with its bad handling of the Star Trek franchise, milking the fans for more and more $$$$$ while continuing to produce a progressively inferior product. In point of fact, Star Trek: The Next Generation was not as good as the original, DS-9 was not as good as Next Generation, Voyager wasn't was good as DS-9, and Enterprise was....well....need I say more?

Star Trek did set a standard in its day (the late 60's) that wasn't to be surpassed until the British produced Blake's 7 under the creative direction of Terry Nation a decade later. While other shows have continued to expand the horizons of science fiction (shows like Babylon-5, LEXX, Firefly, Andromeda, and the current incarnation of Battlestar Galactica) Star Trek seems content to repeat itself with the same tired cliches that were cutting edge 40 years ago.

To regain what made the original concept work so well would require a heroic violation of the norms, something Paramount will never do because they view Star Trek not so much as a creative endeavor, but more as an easy source of cash to bleed from fans willing to lap up anything fed to them regardless of its quality.

The lack of quality in Star Trek should be evident in how it measures up against the novels and fan fiction produced all the time. It is astonishing how often fan fiction is better (often much better) then the actual episodes which were produced at great expense.

fans willing to lap up anything fed to them regardless of its quality.

Agreed.

This is the biggest problem. There's little motivation for Paramount to increase the quality of the material in Star Trek if fans are willing to blindly accept anything simply BECAUSE it is Star Trek.

It's the old thing I read time and time again from some people:

"ANY Star Trek is better than NO Star Trek".

Fans of the original Battlestar Galactica (1978) uttered the same sentiments and were rewarded with Galactica:1980, one of the worst science fiction shows ever produced in the history of Hollywood. The view that "some Stars Wars is better then none" gave us the hidious Jar-Jar laden Trilogy which all but the most blindly loyal depise, and rightly so.

Even loyal X-Files fans often conceed that it over-stayed its welcome and probably should have been wrapped up in 7 or 8 seasons rather then 9.