Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

United Federation of Planets

I think it is just Earth, Vulcan and Andor. My guess would be that the Tellerites joined after the logo was originally made.

It's just a guess, I don't know much about the founding of the Federation.

That was my first thought, too, only Vulcan, Earth and Andor founded the UFP... But I could be wrong with that... I don't know.

Mrs. Captain Picard

I consulted the Articles of Federation in My Star Fleet Technical Manual by Franz Joseph, 1975 and the online version found at http://www.clearlight.com/~sfc/documents/aof.html.

Chapter V: The Federation Council

Article 23: Composition

1. The Federation Council shall consist of eleven (11) members of the united Federation. The United Nations of the planet Earth, the Planetary Confederation of 40 Eridani, the United Planets of 61 Cygni, the Star Empire of Epsilon Indii, and the Alpha Centauri Concordium of Planets shall be permanent members of the Federation Council. The Supreme Assembly shall elect six (6) other members of the united Federation to be non-permanent members of the Federation Council, due regard being especially paid, in the first instance, to the contribution of the members to the United Federation to the maintenance of interplanetary peace and security and to the other purposes of the Federation, and also to equitable geo-galactic distribution;

Also:

Chapter XVIII: Ratification and Signature

Article 109

3. These Articles of Federation shall come into full force upon the deposit of the ratifications by the United Nations of the Planet Earth, the Planetary Confederation of 40 Eridani, the United Planets of 61 Cygni, the Star Empire of Epsilon Indii, the Alpha Centauri Concordium of Planets, and by a majority of the other signatory social systems. A protocol of the ratifications deposited shall thereupon be drawn up by the government of the United Nations which shall communicate copies thereof to all the signatory governments;

Since these 5 governments, the United Nations of the Planet Earth, the Planetary Confederation of 40 Eridani (Vulcan), the United Planets of 61 Cygni (Tellar), the Star Empire of Epsilon Indii (Andor), the Alpha Centauri Concordium of Planets, are listed as permanent members of the Council, and are mentioned again in the ratification, my conclusion is that they were the founding members.

Hope this helps.