Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

awonka2ul.jpg

released June 21, 2005

AMAZING MOVIE AND DVD THAT IS A MUST HAVE

After watching the new movie “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” I knew that I had to get the original movie on DVD, and that’s exactly what I did. I’m now in my early 20’s, so I grew up watching the original movie, but never have bought it until now and I’m glad I did.

The movie is just as fantastic as when I watched it originally, it’s just one of those classics that never get old no matter how many times you watch it. From the incredible acting of Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka, to the oompa loompas to the fantastic scores, this movie really does have it all, even though it doesn’t really follow the novel as well as the new movie does.

I have to applaud the team who worked on this DVD. When watching the movie, my entire family noticed how the picture was so colorful and clear. In my entire life, never have I see this movie in such color. I’m used to the aged, faded versions that always come on TV, but they have restored the movie perfectly on DVD. It’s so colorful; the next best thing is to literally be there in person. Especially when they enter the candy room with the chocolate waterfall, it really is a feast for the eyes.

The Menu Screen for both the main page and special features are extravagant, simply amazing detail on both screens. The song “Pure Imagination” is playing while you are at the menu and special features screen. Some of the scenery on the menu screens moves as well while waiting. Here’s a pic of the menu screen, as you see, very very well done. The picture is a little blurred because I had to enlarge it.

willywonkamenu8yo.jpg

This DVD also has some very good special features

Pure Imagination: The Story of Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory- This documentary lasts around thirty minutes long and gives us a look into the making of this timeless film. In it, there are new interviews with the director, Gene Wilder and all five children now grown up. It’s interesting to hear how everything was made and hearing the kids’, now adults, opinion of the film. The most interesting part is that the documentary tells where and what Peter Ostrum (Charlie Bucket) and the others have been doing since the end of this film. This also includes footage of Roald Dahl, the author of the book “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”, on the set of the movie but it doesn’t have him speaking any.

4 Sing-Along Songs: It’s what it says, four songs from the movie are shown and the lyrics to the songs are at the bottom of the screen as they sing so you can sing along too. This feature is very interesting; the four songs that are shown are “I’ve Got A Golden Ticket”, “Pure Imagination”, “I Want It Now”, and Veruca’s Oompa Loompa song. It’s nice that they give the lyrics so we know what they are saying, but sadly for some reason they don’t have lyrics for the last song. I guess they figure that the words that pop up every now and then during the Oompa Loompa song is considered lyrics and none need to be added, but they should have. Even though the last song doesn’t have full lyrics, this is still a pleasure to listen too, especially if you like the songs of the film.

Vintage 1971 Featurette: This is a shorter and old version of the making of the movie “Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory”. The film is very grainy, which is understandable because it is so old. This short, under ten minute, documentary mainly focuses on the set during the Chocolate room scene. Overall an o.k. addition, but the previous “Pure Imagination” documentary is far superior. But it’s still nice to have an old documentary included that you can’t find anywhere else. The more extras the merrier!

Still Gallery: 18 black and white pictures that show scenes from the movie taken on set. It’s interesting to see a few behind the scenes pics but the majority of the pictures are just black and white pictures of scenes from the movie.

Theatrical Trailer: A longer than expected trailer for the movie “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory”. A very good trailer, but once again the film is faded and grainy. It goes to show how far superior the actually movie on this DVD is compared to the original film and what is shown a lot of the times on TV.

Cast & Crew: This is just short bios of the characters with a pic included beside the bio.

The movie also has audio commentary with the Wonka kids

Overall it is easy to tell that this DVD was a labor of love. Everything on this is fantastic and wasn’t just slapped together for a fast release, but you can tell that the people who worked on this DVD took their time and made this the best it could be, and it is. I was very impressed with how well this DVD came out! It is a must buy for everyone who loves Roald Dahl’s incredible story about one kid who had nothing and ended up having it all. And he lived happily ever after.