Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Picard

Refuse to Lose, Part 2

Ken Schram Commentary: Refuse To Lose, Part II

July 14, 2005

By Ken Schram

SEATTLE - Time to go public. About two months ago, I bet that the Mariners would win at least 90 games this season. Mike Blowers, Tom Glasgow and Tom Hutyler were quick to take advantage. As of today (July 14), there are 75 games left in the season. The Mariners will have to win 51 of those to prove me a baseball genius. Background: I made a similar bet back in July of '95, saying the Mariners would end up in the playoffs. (Dan Lewis can testify to my keen intuitive ability.) At the time, the Mariners were 13/14 games out. I saw something in the team then; I see something in the team now. Bats are about to come alive and pitching will be as good - likely better - than it was back in April. I'm going to enjoy having KOMO's baseball booth boys having to publicly pay me homage when I win. Further, I want to cut some of you in on this action. I'll take 10 people who can convince me, via e-mail, that they should get in on the following bet:

If the Mariners don't win at least 90 games, I will host those 10 people to a home game at Safeco - food and beverage included.

If the Mariners do what I expect they will and win at least 90 games, those 10 people will cough up the equivalent of 2-box seats each, the money to be donated to charities designated by me.

"REFUSE TO LOSE" Again. Email me with your best "pitch" at kenschram@komo4news.com

To hear the report click here and what do you think?

:P

Some bet.

If you win,he'll buy you a seat in the nosebleed aisle and give you a hot dog and a coke....if he wins,he gets twenty box seats equivalent in cash.I can only imagine what charities a guy like that donates too.

Last year he had people bid on griled chesses sandwticthes that looked like famous people and gave the money to Toys for Tots.

As much as I adore the home team, I am skeptical that they can pull it out! I would love to see the M's pull out an amazing second half, but I have that natural Seattle-area skepticism.

We may not have a playoff team this year, but darnit, we will again. That I have faith in!