Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

The Spock vs. Q Collection

8639029.jpg

On Sunday I went to my local book store and I bought the Spock vs. Q collection, what I’ve been wanting to buy for a long time but never have gotten around to it. Is it worth buying? Here are my two cents.

Star Trek: Spock vs. Q **** out of *****

Written for a live audience, this is obviously written for humor, but it loses the character. I admit that it’s very amusing but you can’t help but think that Spock wouldn’t stoop to calling Q nincompoop or fat head in a name calling contest like he does here. Q says Spock should tell it to Seinfeld, would Spock know who Seinfeld is? But during the middle of the story, they drop the jokes and get serious when they begin to talk about if Q should bother to save the Earth from being hit and destroyed by a meteor that is coming as they speak. During this time, they return to character and become the Spock and Q we know and love. When it was all over with, I really did enjoy it even though the start was a little off character, but it was all in fun and did make me smile.

Star Trek: Spock vs. Q-The Sequel **** 1/2 out of *****

More of the same. The story begins when Spock gives Q a formal thank you for saving the Earth from the last story when all of a sudden they are transported to a strange asteroid, where their personalities switch, Q becomes logical and has lost his powers while Spock becomes the prankster telling jokes and teasing Q along the way. Once again recorded for a live audience and in front of the same, the story is filled with more jokes and some are great. What makes this so priceless is the switch of character, Spock losing his logic is something that can’t be missed.

Bonus Video Disc of Spock vs. Q ***** out of *****

Short but sweet. Even though it is only five minutes and forty one seconds long, this is a video of the best scenes from “Spock vs. Q” and one scene from “The Sequel”. Finally seeing their facial expressions adds to the story, making it very entertaining. Leaving me only more wishing that they had released this on DVD, it is very very entertaining.

Overall **** 1/2 out of *****

This is a collection is a comedy record, which leaves the two characters unlike themselves. It is also very easy to tell that this story wasn’t written by a professional. Some of the jokes don’t make their full impact because of this being a stage act, we can’t see what they are doing on stage since this is a CD but you can hear stuff happening on stage. Out of the two, “The Sequel” is the best between the two, the two switching personalities allows them to be silly with each other which just doesn’t feel right on the first. This is worth getting if you’re looking for a good laugh, which is great stuff! But if you’re for some reason expecting a real serious story, you’ll be disappointed, but how serious can a story with Q in it be? My final words: Even though some of the things I have said may sound negative, I still say get it- “The Spock vs. Q Collection” is a sure way to cure the blues for any Trek fan. I only wish that they had released the full DVD, all of the jokes then would be funny, but just listening to some of the jokes don’t do it half the justice that it should have and the five minute “best of” shows that.

Great Comedy Record For Trek Fans- But Not To Be Taken Seriously :)