Sign in to follow this  
Itchygomba69

Who's Idea was it for the original Dres Uniforms

Why did they have to in the 1st few seasons make the guys wear Dresses in their Dress Uniforms, of anything in the Star Trek universe, this disturbs me the most, I mean its not even cool like a Kilt they are prom Dresses!

Call me strange,but I kind of liked the "dress" dress uniform from the first season.It didn't look like a dress to me,anyway. :blink:

Actually, the TNG dress uniforms were based on the uniforms worn by eighteenth-century British naval officers. They weren't dresses, though they didn't look particularly masculine... :blink:

I love those dress uniforms. I don't mind guys wearing dresses... but I don't think these are dresses... even if they were, I wouldn't mind. :blink:

Actually, the TNG dress uniforms were based on the uniforms worn by eighteenth-century British naval officers. They weren't dresses, though they didn't look particularly masculine... :blink:

338043[/snapback]

Yeah, I remember reading that somewhere. They did look masculine in the eighteenth-contury when you compare to dresses women had at that time period.

I would of rather seen Riker and picard in TOS Dresses, (I cant beleave i said that, bangs head off wal) *ouch*

I don't remember even seeing a dress uniform in season 1. There were a few episodes where they showed men wearing those uniforms that were a combination skirt/shorts but they weren't a dress uniform. Example:

Click For Spoiler

The only dress uniform I can remember from the series is this one:

liasons012.jpg

and I wouldn't call it a dress. The tunic started out longer in season 2 (around knee-length) and was shortened over the years until it was the length above.

@ Takara

I believe everyone was referring to this uniform:

Click For Spoiler
manhunt001.jpg

*drool* :P

Still see nothing wrong about it... :laugh::eekout:

Edited by Mrs.Picard

The dirty mind of Mrs. Picard hits again. Good thing she only drooling on her computer and not on the site it self.

Wearing a dress uniform doesn't meaning wearing a dress that we have come to know today. It is a formal uniform only used during current events or watches. If you look at my avator you will see me wearing my dress blues.

Why did they have to in the 1st few seasons make the guys wear Dresses in their Dress Uniforms, of anything in the Star Trek universe, this disturbs me the most, I mean its not even cool like a Kilt they are prom Dresses!

338019[/snapback]

If only I had $5 dollars for every time Jem asked me about guys wearing dresses in TNG. I'd have at least $15.

Because they wanted to suggest that peoples mindsets had changed by that time, things which people would question or be offended and/or freak about today are nothing to these characters.

Imo the uniforms were later shortened and eventually disappeared altogether because a stink was raised, someone was offended by and/or freaked out about it so they dropped it.

yeah but who wa in charge of wardrobe for that, was it Roddenberryor someone else

I still think they looked silly, they should of been more kilt like

Real men wear kilts

and instead of evolving into something wouldnt the be Deevolin, since many men in Rome and Greece wore Togas which were also dress ike

I don't know those answers, they may be explained on some NG DVD episode commentary or special feature disk but if so, I haven't yet seen them.

The designer must have had some reason for them looking the way they do but I never cared one way or the other about them, I just figured that was the way things were.

@ Takara

I believe everyone was referring to this uniform:

Click For Spoiler

*drool*  :P

Still see nothing wrong about it... :laugh:  :eekout:

338839[/snapback]

I misread the original post. I thought he was asking about dress uniforms in season 1 and they didn't have dress uniforms in season 1. The dress uniforms are the same style throughout the series with only the length of the tunic changing. I prefer the shorter style in the picture I posted but don't have a problem with the early version.

In fact I know what you are all talking about in the first episode you see some people walking about the enterprise there is a guy walking in front of the camera with what looks like a dress? is that the uniform you are talking about I will look for some pics of it but if you want to see what it look like to got rottenberry.com then the store then to costumes then patterns you will see the guy wearing that costume.

Ok

Just went to rottenberry's site and that's the dress uniform you see picard wearing the thing was the guy was NOT wearing any pants LOL so yea it look like he is wearing a dress LOL.

Brian

I heard from an official source somewhere that the skirt-ish uniforms that some of the male officers wore was really a behind-the-scenes prank. As for the real dress uniforms, I never had any problems with those.

I never did like the Season 1 dress uniforms. I always perfered the ones we got to see in Insurection.

I LOVE the dress unforms from Insurrection! If I ever see one for sale I'm buying it on the spot!

Edited by Eratosthenes

Since the long dress uniform tunic Picard is wearing in the picture Mrs. Picard posted was first seen in season 2 then Costume Designer Durinda Rice Wood would be the one responsible with the approval of TPTB. Robert Blackman took over in season 3.

I don't remember even seeing a dress uniform in season 1. There were a few episodes where they showed men wearing those uniforms that were a combination skirt/shorts but they weren't a dress uniform. Example:

Click For Spoiler
farpoint097.jpg

Oh, please no... not the skants. I could not stand them, ESPECIALLY with the guys wearing them. They were not that great looking uniforms on the women either.

Now the long tunic with the dress uniforms in the series, now those were not bad, and I adored the dress uniforms in Insurrection & Nemesis.

I agree the dresses had to go. On that same uniform subject, did you notice that in the first few episodes some of the uniforms were still short, short. Kirk and Spock days short.