Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Data's Fate!

Greetings! :laugh:

If you haven't seen Star Trek: Nemesis, click the back button now. If you don't discuss all that much about Data being brough back, go ahead and click "back" too.

Now, I know you all love Data, but I gotta say this before it drives me mad! WHY DOES EVERYONE WANT DATA BACK! Everywhere I go, Data this, Data that, Data's gotta come back, Data's not dead, I hate Nemesis 'cause Data died, DATA, DATA, DATA!!!!! AAAAAHHHH!!!!!! (runs arround screaming)

OK... (breaths) I feel better. Thanks for letting me vent! I've just read a little too much about Data coming back to life. heh

I think the point is that everything is not etched in stone and as Spock said in ST2, "There are always possibilities".

As I believe I saw VaBeachGuy say, we never actually saw Data die and the fact that he downloaded his memory into B4 opens up endless possibilities to endless plots. All that is needed is that bit of imagination to see them.

Also, if there is to be another TNG film, then I think it would be a bit unrealistic if they went on an adventure and seem to forget about Data. After killing him off the writers could not pass up a chance to at least mention him.

because Data is the most unique character in all of Star Trek to date and he is interesting.

he compelled us and he struggled to fit in, just as some of us do.

we could relate, yet we couldnt relate at the same time.

he was complex and amazing.

with a character that has touched so many lives, no matter who it is, he wont be killed off for good without a fight.

i, myself, would love to see data back.

and if not, i just want closure. lol.

I think the point is that everything is not etched in stone and as Spock said in ST2, "There are always possibilities".

As I believe I saw VaBeachGuy say, we never actually saw Data die and the fact that he downloaded his memory into B4 opens up endless possibilities to endless plots. All that is needed is that bit of imagination to see them.

Also, if there is to be another TNG film, then I think it would be a bit unrealistic if they went on an adventure and seem to forget about Data. After killing him off the writers could not pass up a chance to at least mention him.

Well, I agree, Data can be brought back. However, saying "we didn't see him die, so he's not dead" sounds far fetched to me. He fires his weapon, one second later, the Schimitar explodes. I just don't see how saying "Data's dead" is an opinion. Untill I see his return, I think the intention was for him to die, not for it to "look like" he died. Since Data is an aritificial intelligence in the form of an android, it's very possible that he could return. However, I think the question everyone should be asking is "if" Data should be brought back, not "when" Data could be brought back. That's just my opinion though. I think if there is one last TNG film, we will probably see B4 as B4, and not Data. I don't want to see B4 "turn into" Data. The reason being is that would mean that B4 would be effectively erased or obsorbed by Data, and well... that'd be aweful!

Data is one of the most popular characters in the entire Star Trek universe. It has to be expected that the events of Nemesis would cause a huge outpouring of emotion. As VBG said this is science fiction and anything is possible so with that in mind I proclaim loudly, strongly and proudly:

BRING BACK DATA PLEASE!!!!!!!

If you don't think of the characters as family, that is why you do not understand this. If you were not moved to tears when Data did not return to the Enterprise, I doubt you ever will. If you were not enraged when Maddox tried to have Data declaired a toaster or when Haftel tried to order him to give up his daughter, Lal, you cannot understand. Data is such a huge part of the soul of TNG, it seems like the Wizard of Oz and the Tinman never had a heart. :laugh:

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just asking if it should be done.  I'm telling ya, it seems like the STF community is obsessed with Data! :laugh:

You say that as if it is a bad thing!!!

Obsessed - no. Do many people care a great deal - yes. Any time a person has an emotional attachment to someone, even a fictional character, when something happens to that person it is part of the human equation to feel.

Perhaps, it's just all the "bring back Data" talk is driving me crazy! Untill there's a story where Data's brought back, then from my point of view, he's dead. Besides, I don't want to see Star Trek XI: The Search for Data, do you? :laugh:

I want him back, but I want a good story too. I want it to be believable, I want Brent Spiner to play him, I insist that he is able to feel emotions, be it from the chip or on his own and I want him to remain alive at the end of the show. The thing that I did not care for at the end of Nem, was that with the huge break up of the crew and Data's death (breath, two, three, four) it made it difficult to even come out with new novelized stories for TNG. Its kind of like Ds9 and Voyager. That's it...end of story...that's all she wrote. I guess i would have liked to have seen it end in a way were there was still at least room for books to be written. Now, they can be written about the past, but it kind of kills it to think...yeah, but in the end, Data bites it!

Perhaps, it's just all the "bring back Data" talk is driving me crazy!  Untill there's a story where Data's brought back, then from my point of view, he's dead.  Besides, I don't want to see Star Trek XI: The Search for Data, do you? :laugh:

If the talk is driving you crazy then I suggest that you stop reading the threads talking about it. Until the next TNG movie is out the talk will continue.

First off whats wrong with being obsessed??? ;)

Some of the Data talk drives me a little mad sometimes too.

My mom who has not seen the whole movie just keeps repeating "He's not dead."

While I would like to see him come back really would I think that all the TNG movies have been centered around him and Picard and that maybe it is someone elses turn... :laugh:

Well, I agree, Data can be brought back. However, saying "we didn't see him die, so he's not dead" sounds far fetched to me. He fires his weapon, one second later, the Schimitar explodes.

[glow=green]Stardate:213485.9

We've seen people survive stuff like that before.Like supposedly Sloan(section 31)was vaporized but was able to transport out of there at the last second.Same with Picard so it can be done.

because Data is the most unique character in all of Star Trek to date and he is interesting.

he compelled us and he struggled to fit in, just as some of us do.

we could relate, yet we couldnt relate at the same time.

he was complex and amazing.

with a character that has touched so many lives, no matter who it is, he wont be killed off for good without a fight.

i, myself, would love to see data back.

and if not, i just want closure. lol.

Im sorry..I know that I keep doing this but ^

is exactly what I think.

Lets see, of course I agree with Takara and Lessa.

And then...also:bysty, jdigs agreeing with bysty, Geranimo, and transportermalfunction.

Short and sweet, I want to see him come back! And how he comes back has to be believable and dignified.

I was always taught that if something bothers/offends me then I just do not listen/read it. That was always good advice before so I shall suggest it as my sister did. Just dont go to threads with his name on it, unless you are fully prepared to hear/read about him and how people wish for their favorite to make a return.And if you do read, and decide to post please do not be surprised or offended when the people defend their views. We like/love him, and it is highly unlikely that our view of him living or....dead (my God, I actually typed that!) will ever change.

Well, all I was doing with this thread was venting a little. I think Data was an awesome character and I don't have a problem reading about him all the time, it was the "bring Data back" posts that were driving me buggy. However, I'll try and be more tactful in the future. :angry:

Perhaps, it's just all the "bring back Data" talk is driving me crazy!  Untill there's a story where Data's brought back, then from my point of view, he's dead.  Besides, I don't want to see Star Trek XI: The Search for Data, do you? :angry:

Bring back Data is just an opinion after all. Should he? Shouldn't he? But you've told us that it annoys you, and I'm sure we understand, but we can't/won't just stop talking about something that is such a big deal in our lives because you don't agree. You've stated your opinion and we get it, but if it irritates you so much than just don't read the posts. They aren't EVERYwhere, believe me, I've looked.

Perhaps, it's just all the "bring back Data" talk is driving me crazy!  Untill there's a story where Data's brought back, then from my point of view, he's dead.  Besides, I don't want to see Star Trek XI: The Search for Data, do you? :angry:

Bring back Data is just an opinion after all. Should he? Shouldn't he? But you've told us that it annoys you, and I'm sure we understand, but we can't/won't just stop talking about something that is such a big deal in our lives because you don't agree. You've stated your opinion and we get it, but if it irritates you so much than just don't read the posts. They aren't EVERYwhere, believe me, I've looked.

I wasn't asking anyone to so much as change a word, I just needed to vent, that's all. :angry:

I wasn't asking anyone to so much as change a word, I just needed to vent, that's all. :angry:

Yes, however your venting essentially is asking us to change what we feel or what we say. The only way to prevent you from needing to vent is...to change our words(Which we will NOT do). So, you not reading the posts is truly the way to go, if you wish to remain free of the need to vent. Also, from here on out...do not go out of your way to post rants or need to vent with titles that make people want to check them out. I mean the only reason I came to the thread was the title. If I had any inkling of an idea this was merely a "I am going crazy over the amout of people who are fans of Data, and most assuredly tired of hearing how they want him to come back. thread" I would never come to this thing... which is more than likely the case for others who have posted here. Though I am not a MOD, I will say this...your argumental posts really are better suited to PM's if they even need to be made at all. Those of us who wish him back, will always do so; and those who dont won't. Simple as that...we have enough wars going on the world, we really dont need one here. Yes, you have an opinion and it was so noted, we have our opinion and it too has been noted. What should be done is: we all agree to disagree.

Yes, however your venting essentially is asking us to change what we feel or what we say. The only way to prevent you from needing to vent is...to change our words(Which we will NOT do). So, you not reading the posts is truly the way to go, if you wish to remain free of the need to vent. Also, from here on out...do not go out of your way to post rants or need to vent with titles that make people want to check them out. I mean the only reason I came to the thread was the title. If I had any inkling of an idea this was merely a "I am going crazy over the amout of people who are fans of Data, and most assuredly tired of hearing how they want him to come back. thread" I would never come to this thing... which is more than likely the case for others who have posted here. Though I am not a MOD, I will say this...your argumental posts really are better suited to PM's if they even need to be made at all. Those of us who wish him back, will always do so; and those who dont won't. Simple as that...we have enough wars going on the world, we really dont need one here. Yes, you have an opinion and it was so noted, we have our opinion and it too has been noted. What should be done is: we all agree to disagree.

Hmm... I actually agree with what you said. Welp, this thread was ment to vent frustration, but it did more harm than good. Sorry guys! Guess it should get locked.