Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

So what of Lazarus?

You may remember this episode ended with the Lazarus's from two different universes forever locked in hand to hand battle between two universes. Bet that crap of being in an eternal battle got old fast. :jaw: I wonder if one of them was from the Mirror Universe we know of...

The reference book Captains Logs says of this episode that it is not a fan favorite but no one has, that I've seen, ever added it to any 'worst episode' list.

Not a perfect episode but I do like this one for the way it ended; the idea they remain locked in battle between the two universes to this day and forever is one of the great hanging story threads in Trek imo.

Any thoughts on this one?

This was an ok episode. Not great but far from the worst. It would indeed be nice to find out whatever happened to Lazarus. I may be wrong but I don't believe it has even been mentioned in a Trek novel.

I agree, it's not one of the best, but most certainly not one of the worst ones either. <_<

I feel sorry for the guys... I mean, they're trapped, fighting for eternity... :unsure:

but if it killed the other wouldnt it destroy the universe, or would it be an act of suicide>

335898[/snapback]

I thought it would only destroy both universes if they came in contact anywhere other than between worlds?

I liked the actor that played Lazarus. I always loved "Here comes the Brides" when it was on some channel a couple of years ago. He was the oldest brother. I could just never decide which brother was the cutest.

I liked the actor that played Lazarus.  I always loved "Here comes the Brides" when it was on some channel a couple of years ago.  He was the oldest brother.  I could just never decide which brother was the cutest.

337026[/snapback]

I remember that show. Bobby Sherman was the youngest brother and Mark Lenard was in the show as well. As a matter of fact, there was a Star Trek novel years ago that actually involved the Trek crew with the characters from that show.

I think the two Lazarus' do not experience the passage of time, and so that their condition is like a 'state of being'.

It is sort of like Sisko when he was trapped in subspace. He did not experience the passage of time except when he was yanked into Jake's presence. There was no point of reference for him while he was actually in subspace.

Similarly, I think there is no time sense for the two Lazarus's. I do not think it makes things 'better' for them. I just think it characterizes their existence.

I do not think one can actually kill the other within that space they are locked inside of. I think it is like some of the ancient Greek and Roman myths: Sisyphus pushing a rock up a hill that rolls back down just when he is about to reach the top. Tantalus and things just beyond his reach. It is that sort of torture where one can neither be gratified through accomplishing something ( in this case eliminating the other guy), nor is one able to escape.