Sign in to follow this  
Yillara Skye

The Replacements

OK, one of my favorite newer movies is The Replacements. I first caught a part of this hilarious movie on either TBS or Starz back when it was a rather new release. After the credits began rolling, I decided that this was definately a movie I needed and wanted to catch from the beginning. Luckily, I soon got to, since it was going to be playing all that week. Later on, I ended up buying the DVD...and it was just as good, actually better because the special features included a Behind the Scenes featurette with Orlando Jones as your host, and a Actors Guide to Football.

Summary from IMDB....

When the NFL football team, the Baltimore Sentinels, goes on strike, the team's owner, Edward O'Neill (Jack Warden), calls former NFL coach Jimmy McGinty (Gene Hackman) out of retirement to coach a rag-tag team of replacement players to finish the season's last four games in which McGinty turns to former pro-football player Shane Falco (Keanu Reeves) to be the team's captain for the duration of the season and Falco is forced to shape up the misfit players whom include convenence store guard Clifford Franklin (Orlando Jones), gangster rapper brothers Andre and Jamal Jackson (Faizon Love and Michael Taliferro), former sumo westler Jumbo Fumkio (Ace Yonamine), a Welsh "football" player called "The Leg" (Rhys Ifans), a deaf player, a convict on a work-release program, a tough SWAT leader, and many more while, at the same time, Falco strikes up a possible romance with the team's cheerleading captain Annabelle Farrell (Brooke Langton).

Summary written by Matthew Patay

here's another site

The replacements at Warner Brothers

And some of the best quotes..well the ones that dont have language that I cannot post here(swear words or sexual innuendos, and the likes...this IS a PG-13 movie)

Dawn: Oh my God. I forgot to tell you something. [long pause] Heather: Oh, she does that all the time.

McGinty: That's the great thing about plankton. It pretty much keeps to itself.

Shane Falco: Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Shane Falco: I want the ball. Jimmy McGinty: Winners always do.

Jimmy McGinty: You know what the difference is between a winner and a loser? Shane Falco: The score.

Shane Falco: I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style.

Jimmy McGinty: A real man admits his fears. That's what I'm asking you to do here tonight. Who wants to go first? Clifford Franklin: I'm afraid of spiders, Coach.

John Madden: I love to see a fat guy score. Pat Summerall: Why? John Madden: Because first you get a fat guy score, then you get the fat guy dance.

Shane Falco: You, ah, wanna come on board for a beer? Annabelle Farrell: Nothing personal, Shane, but I don't date football players. Shane Falco: I don't blame you. Not even quaterbacks? Annabelle Farrell: Especially not quarterbacks. You guys are the biggest babies of all.

Shane Falco: Why me? Jimmy McGinty: I look at you and I see two men: the man you are and the man you should be. Someday those two men will meet, and it should make for one hell of a football player. ..