Sign in to follow this  
M_5

drag racing

I don't know if illegal drag racing is a problem where you live,but its been getting a lot of attention here.

Last weekend 3 teens were killed when the car they were racing rolled.That makes a total of about a half-dozen fatalities and seven or eight seriously injured kids in the past three-years.

Local officials are trying to decide whether or not to build the local youth a drag strip where they can race more safely,with officials overseeing the weekend events....or to bulk up police presence on the many backroads in order to shut the illegal races down and punish those participating (even those just watching would be subject to stiff fines).

One of my brothers owns a garage here and he personally makes modifications to many of the cars used by the local dragsters.After this last tragedy he has told me the that he isn't going to modify any more cars for the purpose of racing them.I agree with that,but there are a dozen other guys who will take his place.

I used to race in high school,so did all of my brothers,and our father before us.Its been going on on backroads all through the south since the 50's.But I can't recall ever hearing about so many accidents and deaths before.Are the cars becoming too fast,or are the kids worse drivers,or both?

I think dragstrips would be a great idea. These kids who spend thousands of dollars modifying their rice burners really ruin the hobby for the rest of us. They race down streets sometimes killing themselves. They also ruin car shows by showing up and squeeling wheels and doing other stupid things. I own a classic muscle car myself (see pic below). When I race it, I go to the drag strip where it is safe. After all the money I put into my car, I am not about to risk destroying it (or myself) in some stupid illegal road race.

Nice car. :lol:

I bought a '72 Charger this past January.At the moment its in my brother's garage.We're restoring it.Should be a jaw dropper when we get done.

Nice car. :lol:

I bought a '72 Charger this past January.At the moment its in my brother's garage.We're restoring it.Should be a jaw dropper when we get done.

333695[/snapback]

'72 Charger - SWEET! What motor is in it?

BTW - I think the new Chargers are a disgrace. They may have a hemi but a 4-door sports car?...Yuck. The prototype that Chrysler was taking around to all of the car shows looked really cool and much different than the finished version.

are you talking about boy racers soft-of-thing?

333736[/snapback]

Yea, the kids whos parents always buy them stuff, like Civics, Eclipses, and the like... Basically, all they are is just noise makers. My Saturn has taken care of one or two on the highway who were pestering traffic, they slowed down when a stock Saturn outhandled them. :hug:

I am making a documentery about boy racers at college- moaning about them. I'll use everyone's opinions on boy racers as quotes in the film. :hug: