Sign in to follow this  
jdigs

Laser eye surgery

I have been on a fence about "getting my eyes done" for some time now as I've had enough with contacts and am tired of glasses..was just curious what the brains on STF.net might think of this

I read somewhere that the correction is semi-permanent...lasting for 5-7 years before a new surgery has to be performed

I wouldn't have laser eye surgery to correct something glasses or contact lenses correct, imo not enough info has yet been gathered on the long term effects.

My dad's thinking about having it done, but I'd be very nervous about having it done, I'd want to wait a while longer, until they have a better idea of what their doing and what's going to happen.

I wouldn't have laser eye surgery to correct something glasses or contact lenses correct, imo not enough info has yet been gathered on the long term effects.

I agree.

Also, I saw on 20/20 or Dateline that your corneas have to be a certain thickness and diameter in order for the surgery to be successful. Some doctors will perform the surgery regardless and that's why people have nightmarish problems afterwards.

I personally have an aversion to someone wanting to perform any type of surgery on me. The idea of a low powered laser cutting into my eyes makes me cringe. I'm perfectly willing to accept my flaws and correct them without having to undergo anything so drastic as that. I also refuse to use those tanning beds that are so popular. The idea of bathing myself in radiation to achieve a darker look for vanity's sake strikes me as one of the strangest ideas to come down the pike in some time. If you must undergo the laser surgery, check the doctors credentials, what training he or she has had to use the laser and see if there are any testimonials from former patients. If they are a legit operation, they will have no problem providing you with the information you need to make an informed choice.