Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

No Paradox for Time Travel

It seems to me that someone travelling back in time could not alter the past because the past would already contain the person travelling back in time and doing whatever he does. So basically, even if he's about to go back in time, history has already recorded that he's done whatever he will do once he goes back in time. I know, that sounds kinda like a paradox itself, but it really isn't.

The only way a paradox could happen is if (for instance) I went back in time and murdered my mother, preventing my own birth. Which would mean that I would never be born, therefore I'd never go back in time to prevent my birth, which would result in my birth still occuring. But if the theory if seperate time-lines is true, then that would mean that, rather than a paradox, there would be a resulting two time-lines, one in which my future self exists in order to prevent my younger self from being born (therefore the original me never existing), and a time-line in which the original me exists, grows, and develops, and then disappears from that time-line when I went back (and hence entered the other time-line).

Kinda weird, no?

That's extremely interesting. I've always wondered what terrors (if only viewable to a hypothetical Q-Like outside observer) could unfold if man invents backwards time-travel (we've already proven that we can easily travel into the future.) If these new theories hold true, though, then the multiverse will be, in my mind, a better place.