Sign in to follow this  
Sothis

New arrival's thoughts on ENT

Dayum, this board has a lot of smilies... anyway...

I'm told this is an open board, in that I am free to voice my opinions on the show and it's values, so here goes...

So, what do I make of Star Trek's latest incarnation?

From other posts I've made, it's possible to infer a dislike of the show, so I thought I'd clarify things.

I don't dislike Enterprise. I've watched a handful of episodes all the way through, some I've watched part of. Some of it I've liked. I actually quite liked 'The Expanse'. The pilot episode too, was quite enjoyable, and there have been flickers of fun across the show. The problem is, that for the most part, Enterprise doesn't have enough going on to make it noteworthy. The characters aren't interesting. There's none of the interplay of the sort we saw between Spock and McCoy, Kirk and Spock, Picard and Data... there's no fierce, uncomprimising character like Odo, or michevious character like Dax. There's also a flatness about the stories too- TOS took risks and made bold statements about the issues of the day, and TNG also had intriiguing social commentary. From a creative viewpoint, DS9 was strong because it dared to give us a darker Trek, one where everything was no so clean cut and we saw the most three-dimensional characters of the franchise. There's none of that in ENT. Half the episodes I've seen seem to revolve around peeling off T'Pol's clothing, and where the writer's reach a block, they throw the Borg at us.

In all, ENT has some interesting moments, some fun and intriguing glimpses of how what we know came to be. Sadly, I fear with this temporal cold war business, the producers are setting up a giant reset button, so that the time line is miracolously (sp?) preserved. Worse yet, the producers will decide they don't care and ruin the time line. :lol:

At the end of the day you have to take all show for what they are.

and that is someones attempt to entertain you if it dosen't then move on to the next show and see what that dose. but as you said this is an open board and at least your hounest about how you feel to the show and unlike most Trek boards you won't get flame'd for your opinion.

We'r allways happy to see new members here and I hope you enjoy your self.

I think (other then TOS) all of the seasons took until season 3 to really find their feet. Each had good episodes in the first 2 seasons but starting with season 3 they took off.

I think this will be the same for Enterprise. As for the writers falling back on the Borg from a "block", I disagree. The story they wrote needed to be done, the Borg came to the earth back before Warp drive. The story was there, why not write it? I think they did quite well at it.

One place I think that assessment would fit better (a writers block) would be with bringing the Ferengi on in season 1. I really enjoyed that episode though and it didn't harm the timeline. (Neither did the Borg episode).

Lets see season 3, see the pattern holds true for Star Trek.

In my opinion, I think the fans are too critical. It's a series of tv shows and movies. My advice is if you don't like it, don't watch it. :lol: However, if like the show, but have complaints anyway, well, you're free to do so!

My only complaints are:

1. Characters don't have enough depth.

2. Too many "aliens of the week" and not enough explorration.

3. Not enough suspense.

Aside from that, I think the show rocks! B)

I think (other then TOS) all of the seasons took until season 3 to really find their feet. Each had good episodes in the first 2 seasons but starting with season 3 they took off.

I agree that it usually takes until season 3 for the series to finally get its space legs. I only wish that weren't so. You would think the writers and producers would have the series well planned out, stories well scripted and researched, characters fleshed out with back story (even if we don't know that story yet), etc. Sometimes I feel they have just sat around a table, someone gets a brilliant idea saying, " Hey, why don't we have (insert character) do this?", they write it and produce the next week.---I exagerate, but it does seem that they haven't put much thought into it.

I think this will be the same for Enterprise. As for the writers falling back on the Borg from a "block", I disagree. The story they wrote needed to be done, the Borg came to the earth back before Warp drive. The story was there, why not write it? I think they did quite well at it.

I'm not so sure REGENERATION needed to be done. IMO they fell back on a tried and true formula. Maybe I'm just a little tired of the Borg. However, even after some nit-picking, overall the script was fairly well written. I personally enjoyed the continuity established with FIRST CONTACT.

One place I think that assessment would fit better (a writers block) would be with bringing the Ferengi on in season 1. I really enjoyed that episode though and it didn't harm the timeline. (Neither did the Borg episode).

Writers block or not , I enjoyed the Ferengi. And you're right, the timeline remained intact. The episode provided many humorous moments with the characters, including T'Pol. We got to see the characters' sense of humor, and how they played off one another. It was what I call a fun little romp.

Lets see season 3, see the pattern holds true for Star Trek.

I can't wait for season 3 to begin !

Dayum, this board has a lot of smilies... anyway...

I'm told this is an open board, in that I am free to voice my opinions on the show and it's values, so here goes...

So, what do I make of Star Trek's latest incarnation?

From other posts I've made, it's possible to infer a dislike of the show, so I thought I'd clarify things.

I don't dislike Enterprise. I've watched a handful of episodes all the way through, some I've watched part of. Some of it I've liked. I actually quite liked 'The Expanse'. The pilot episode too, was quite enjoyable, and there have been flickers of fun across the show. The problem is, that for the most part, Enterprise doesn't have enough going on to make it noteworthy. The characters aren't interesting. There's none of the interplay of the sort we saw between Spock and McCoy, Kirk and Spock, Picard and Data... there's no fierce, uncomprimising character like Odo, or michevious character like Dax. There's also a flatness about the stories too- TOS took risks and made bold statements about the issues of the day, and TNG also had intriiguing social commentary. From a creative viewpoint, DS9 was strong because it dared to give us a darker Trek, one where everything was no so clean cut and we saw the most three-dimensional characters of the franchise. There's none of that in ENT. Half the episodes I've seen seem to revolve around peeling off T'Pol's clothing, and where the writer's reach a block, they throw the Borg at us.

In all, ENT has some interesting moments, some fun and intriguing glimpses of how what we know came to be. Sadly, I fear with this temporal cold war business, the producers are setting up a giant reset button, so that the time line is miracolously (sp?) preserved. Worse yet, the producers will decide they don't care and ruin the time line.    :lol:

Some fine points there, I agree Ent is missing that "spark" that the other Treks have shown and can only hope the writers don't mess with the time line. You've heard correctly and Abakai put it nicely..but nevertheless..Welcome to the boards.