Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Bauer

Fourty-Sevens

I think everyone is aware of the occurrences of 47 in the Star Trek universe. I was wondering if anyone has ever noticed 47s around here. For instance, I just noticed that STFs.net opened on February 16th (of 2003).

Feb 16th is the 47th day of the year.

(Freaky).

Edited by Jack_Bauer

I think everyone is aware of the occurrences of 47 in the Star Trek universe

I have no idea what you're talking about!

331430[/snapback]

You're not?

Well, writer Joe Menosky attended Ponoma college and apparently there is a group known as the 47 society there. They believe that 47 is the quintessential random number (they're not a cult or anything). Anyway, Menosky brought this with him writing for Star Trek and other writers began to place 47s in their scripts and the technical people did so as well (even the make up people). There are many possible incarnations: inverted 47 (74), double 47 (94), 100-47 (53, percentages), 2209 (47 squared).

Here are some websites detailing some of them:

http://www.audiograffiti.com.au/47/

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/47

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/47_references

And Matt, there is more than one 47. For instance, your reply was post 1074 for you, 74 is 47 inverted. There are members with 74 and 47 in their member numbers (i.e. The King is member 947) and maybe some with 47/74 in their name. There are posts posted at 47 minutes past the hour. I don't have many examples but they're out there.

331430[/snapback]

This has to do with former writer Joe Menosky. He attended Pomona College where "Professor of Mathematics Donald Bentley proved that all numbers are equal to 47. Since then, Sagehens in search of 47 trivia, have found that this quintessential random number turns up in the most unlikely places" (from the Pomona College website).

Apparently every script, Menosky wrote included a reference to the number 47. Other writers, including Ron Moore and Brannon Braga, started doing it as well after Menosky told them about it.

Seems it wouldn't be considered random if people are intentionally putting them in there.

331454[/snapback]

Apparently some of the 47s were put in intentionally as an in-joke however there were many instances of it showing up unintentionally as well.

With the writers it is intentional, in real life it is random.

For instance, I just completed my first year of university. Grade points are done out of 12. In both semesters I earned 47 grade points total (out of 60).

Okay so you said that Sean is member No. 947, you're right that number has 47 in it. There's almost 2000 members on the site, of course there's going to be a couple of 47's in there somewhere! Yes that was my 1074th post and if you cut half the numbers off and switch the rest around then you get 47, magic! I also had another 1073 posts before that.

Only joking around with you Jack.

That's true, however I am 47th in line to become the next mod.

331468[/snapback]

And I am the 47th most crazy member (we really need to work on retesting the other 46. :lol: )

If I may be so dumb; what are the 47's in Star Trek? The only odd number thing I remember about Star Trek is the 1701 being 666 thing.

If I may be so dumb; what are the 47's in Star Trek? The only odd number thing I remember about Star Trek is the 1701 being 666 thing.

332164[/snapback]

Check out the links that Jack supplied above in the 4th post of this thread.

As for the 666 thing, that I've never heard of.

Edited by Takara_Soong

Here are a couple I just noticed:

-There are 47 members on the member map of Europe

-Another screen name is dave647

They don't have to be board related at this point, just share if you've noticed 47 in some weird places, phone numbers, addresses, etc.

Here are some other BIZARRE 47 spottings:

-A single cell must go through 47 rounds of mitosis to produce the number of cells in the human body.

-47 miracles are credited to Jesus in the New Testament

-There are 47 sentences in the Declaration of Independence

As for the 666 thing, that I've never heard of.

332230[/snapback]

666 = 2 × 3^2 × 37 is the 333rd even number and the 544th composite number. (The 666th composite number is 806 = 2 × 13 × 31). 666 is the 260th non square-free number: {4, 8, 9, 12, 16, 18, 20, 24, ..., 648, 650, 652, 656, 657, 660, 664, 666, ...}. The 666th non square-free number is 1701.