Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

PINK FOYLD RE-UNITING!

Sun Jun 12,11:00 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - Four members of seminal British rock band Pink Floyd will play together for the first time in 24 years at London's Live 8 charity concert for Africa on July 2, publicists for the event said on Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Guitarist David Gilmour, drummer Nick Mason and keyboard player Richard Wright will be on stage with bassist Roger Waters for their first public performance since they played at London's Earls Court in 1981.

The rock legends will join a star-studded line-up including Coldplay, Elton John and Paul McCartney at the Live 8 concert in Hyde Park, organized by activist rocker Bob Geldof to pressure rich nations to ease African poverty.

"Like most people I want to do everything I can to persuade the G8 leaders to make huge commitments to the relief of poverty and increased aid to the third world," said Gilmour.

"Any squabbles Roger and the band have had in the past are so petty in this context, and if reforming for this concert will help focus attention then it's got to be worthwhile."

The band released their first album "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" in 1967 and broke records with 1973's "The Dark Side Of The Moon," which remained in the American album charts for more than a decade.

In the 1980s relations between Waters and the rest of the group soured, with Waters suing over the rights to the Pink Floyd name.

Gilmore, Mason and Wright continued to record and tour as Pink Floyd, releasing their last studio album "The Division Bell" in 1994.

Yahoos News.

:congrats: OMGOSH! I'm going to pee myself! :newyear: I so hope this leads to a new world tour and another (or more) album!

I seriously doubt that Gilmour and Waters could get along for an entire tour. They would kill each other.

Perhaps, perhaps not. Other bands feuding members have gotten over disputes and gone on to create some of their best work, I hold out hope they will do the same.

That's cool.

Somebody tell me when Gladys Knight and The Pips get back to touring....then I'll pee myself,too! :unsure:

Perhaps, perhaps not. Other bands feuding members have gotten over disputes and gone on to create some of their best work, I hold out hope they will do the same.

335036[/snapback]

You're right. Just look at Fleetwood Mac.

Pink Floyd is so far and above every other group from their (or any other) era. It's hard to capture lightning in a bottle, but if any one has a shot at doing it, it would be PF.

We've turned our 6-year-old onto their music. Of course, he can name most of Steely Dan's biggest hits and sing along ... and he has a clearer idea of who Bob Dylan is than he does Mickey Mouse.

That's cool.

Somebody tell me when Gladys Knight and The Pips get back to touring....then I'll pee myself,too! :P

335286[/snapback]

They took the midnight train to Georgia, dude. :unsure: (I like them, too!)

Well, it AIN'T going to happen. :laugh: Gillmore and Waters made that perfectly clear after thier appearence at Live8. They even turned down a $350 million US tour offer to prove it IS over. :blink:

*snif*

O'well, they had a good run and we have every album to reminisce over the good days with. Thanks for all the memories Pink Floyd, you are one of the best!

:laugh::rolleyes: