Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Nana Visitor on the new TV Series Wildfire

How is it, I haven't even seen any commercials for it?

Of course I watched the entire first season on the ABC Family channel. Very entertaining show even though there is a lot of 'teen drama' in it. Great to see Nana on TV again..I'm looking forward to season 2.. :lol:

They've already had a full season?

Yes..The ratings were really good for this show and they were renewed for a second season. I believe that Michael Piller was quite involved with this show too..

WILDFIRE follows eighteen-year-old Kris Furillo (Cortese) who, after serving time at a teen detention center, is given the opportunity to start a new life. Her talent with horses is recognized by a volunteer and local trainer (Serano), who arranges a job for her at the Ritter's family run ranch. Thrown into a completely new environment, Kris must learn to deal with the challenges of fitting in, while trying not to disappoint the one family willing to give her a chance. The Ritters are facing challenges of their own even as they reach out to help Kris. Patriarch Henry Ritter (Weaver) and his daughter Jean (Visitor) are in a critical stage of their battle to save the ranch from financial ruin.

Michael Piller, who co-created Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, is working with Nana Visitor (Kira Nerys) on another series - ABC Family's Wildfire.

"The lessons I learned from [Gene] Roddenberry - that stories need to be about something, explore moral and ethical dilemmas - informs all my writing now. Certainly, those are at play in Wildfire," Piller told TrekWeb. After working along with Rick Berman on Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Star Trek: Insurrection, plus several independently produced shows including USA's The Dead Zone, which began its fourth season last week, Piller said he wished he had known when he started in the business "that I know what I'm doing and don't have to believe everything everybody tells me I should be doing."

On Wildfire, Visitor - who played DS9's Bajoran first officer, a character who grew from distrusting Starfleet and loathing Cardassians to wearing a Starfleet uniform to help save Cardassia - appears as the mother of a troubled teenager who uses her passion for horses to turn her life around. "We needed a TV mom who could really act," Piller explained, noting that Visitor was not on the casting agent's list but he had seen her recently at the home of another former Deep Space Nine writer, Ira Steven Behr. "I asked that she be called in and she was easily the best actress we'd read," he declared.

Piller had pitched the series to the WB, believing in the wake of Seabiscuit that a show about a horse farm would find an audience. The WB bought the drama but chose to put it aside in favor of Jack and Bobby. and when their director of drama moved to ABC Family, she ordered a pilot movie. "As soon as they saw the movie, they ordered the series - it had 'hit' written all over it," said Piller.

The writer said that he believes his contribution to Star Trek: The Next Generation was "development of their characters and that's when women started tuning into the series which helped the ratings grow." As for the future of the franchise following Enterprise's cancellation, he said, "It needs time. Look at the Bond model. It got tired and then we were ready for him to return. I think there was just too much of it finally."

The exact date of when season two is starting up hasn't been released yet..I thought I heard that it's going to be in January of 06..There is really no mention of it on her site..Only that Wildfire has been picked up for a second season..

there will be a Wildfire marathon on ABC Family Channel tomorrow from 7 am to 10 pm.

Yeah, it does look like 'Wildfire' is back. The info I have just recieved yesterday from her fanclub newsletter is that there will be a Wildfire marathon starting at 7AM on January 2nd with the season 2 premiere happening at 8PM..