Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

What makes a person great?

I believe tonight they will present part II of the "Greatest American" and I know several people have shared who they thought were great people but in a way that's approaching the question backwards.

First- I'd like to ask, what qualities do you thinks make a person great? Second - how does that translate into what makes a great American? Do any of the people on the original or short list exhibit those qualities.

The one quality I think of most is the willingness to sacrifice personal comforts (time, health, wealth or some cases life) in order to serve your fellow man. That, IMO, eliminates a lot of people on the original list who have become wealthy because of what made them famous - whether that was business, invention or entertainment. Another quality I consider great is a commit to principle - despite criticism or obstacles.

As for men of service I mentioned in another post - six people on that list were assassinated - some of them knew their lives were in danger if they persisted in their cause - I'm not sure about the others. There are others who attained fame simply because they wouldn't back down on their principles.

The truth is there have been many great Americans -most of whom did not make the list. And some people on the list don't qualify as "great" under my criteria.

So what qualties do you think make a person great?

In my opinion, I'd say that anyone who does things purely out of love, regardless of who they're doing it for, is great.

As for what makes a 'great American,' I guess that depends on ones definition of 'American.' Does it mean Native American? One who was born and rasied in America? One who moved to America but does everything in the name of America? There could be many ways of identifying one as an American.

EDIT: The definition of what makes someone great that I gave above is only one of possibly many such definitions. I'm not trying to say that someone must be limited to just that.

Edited by wishfire

Willingness to sacrifice personal comforts (time, health, wealth or some cases life) in order to serve your fellow man.

This can easily be exploited those not so moral.

commit to principle - despite criticism or obstacles.

Can also be called "stubborn". Clinging to principle means extinction one day. Would you stay vegetarian if there was nothing but meat to eat?

To me a great person is someone who has power and uses it for good, who is possibly determined, intelligent and wise.

For me, what makes a person great goes consistantly against what today's society accepts as greatness.

Everyone certainly has attributes, skills, etc that are higher than someone else, but that one thing doesn't make them a great individual. It just means in their area, they are beyond the rest of us.

I did a lot of soul searching a few years back after my Father was taken from us tragically, and I realized many things that make life worth living, and what makes a person wonderful and worth having in my life.

The following to me are what makes a great person:

Compassion

Intelligence

Humor

Thirst for knowledge

Empathy

Self starter

Independent

Responsible

Respectful

Humility

A good listener, knows when to give advice and doesn't sulk when advice isn't taken

Builds people up, never wants to tear them down, even in argument

Integrity

Honor-their word is their promise, and they don't go back on their word

Honest

Loving

Willing to try new things, even if they have no clue as to do what ever it may encompass

Open-hearted

Genuine interest in others

Sure of themselves without being arrogant, I call this Quiet Confidence

That's the tip of the ice berg without really going into a wordy, long post on this.

That said, no one like this will be on that list tonight.

Let me add this, as this is essential to me and my "vision" of a great inidividual.

The want, the desire to help other people, to make a difference in the world simply for the feeling of peace it gives you when it is over.

Whether it be helping someone with their groceries, volunteering to feed AIDS babies at a hospital, reading to cancer stricken children, helping your local recycling program.

Helping the world BE a better place simply because you like to do it, quietly, and joyously is key in my mind to being a great individual.

:yahoo::laugh: :) How could I forget?

The ability to apologize.

Over stupid things, like not refilling the toliet paper :) to big things that can possibly ruin a serious friendship or partnership.

Edited by Madame Butterfly

ARMS, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about exploitation. Are you saying a person that sacrifices personal benefits to serve others - exploits those others or that they themselves are susceptible to exploitation.

Since, you've chose to critique my criteria I will respond.

This can easily be exploited those not so moral.

commit to principle - despite criticism or obstacles.

Can also be called "stubborn". Clinging to principle means extinction one day. Would you stay vegetarian if there was nothing but meat to eat?

Hard to respond to your question because being a vegetarian isn't exactly something I think of as a principle though I see that it can be to some people. However, death and extinction are not the same thing - a person may die but their cause may live on. Example: Galileo refused to denounce Copernicus - he may have forfeited his freedom but his work lives on.

To me a great person is someone who has power and uses it for good, who is possibly determined, intelligent and wise

Has there ever been anyone with power that used it for good? My observation has been that people can not achieve power by being good.

Has there ever been anyone with power that used it for good?  My observation has been that people can not achieve power by being good.

330456[/snapback]

Hmm... Good question, that.

There have been people with power who think (or even believe) that they use their power for good. I'm sure that that have been some who actually do use power for good. I think that Princess Di would be a good example of that. But for the most part, (in my opinion) it seems that most people with power, even if they think/believe they use it for good, do not.

Here's another aspect of what makes a person "great".

That they feel so secure and sound within themselves, that they are very comfortable with other individuals having differing view points, and are open minded enough to listen to those view points without condemnation, and perhaps with the hope to learn something new, and to understand the other person more completely.

Lets not say "Great American" but a Great person.... What makes a Great Person....

A person who is huge, large, has an enormous spare tyre... overweight.... now that is a great chap.

:yahoo::laugh: :)

I seem to have missplaced my comment that was:

Changed the world, nation, human race or science (mass scale only) for the bettor.

For the 100 Greatest Americans poll, my basic criteria were that the person made a significant, or lasting, contibution to America. I have always been interested in history, which was my undergraduate major. I emphasize in my list, in the Greatest American thread, those who were significant, both in their time and today, for their contribution(s). I look toward positive contributions, with some emphasis on having made either a sacrifice or risk in their accomplishment. Contributing to the public awareness of a problem or plight , as well as trying to solve it also ranks high for me.

The original list seemed weighted toward popularity and twentieth century contibutions. My picks reflect what I see as important and I also attempt to recognize acheivements in the arts, literature and music. Some of my picks can certainly be debated as I do not consider myself an expert in those fields, but recognizing American achievements in those fields is important to me.

I recognize just a few living Americans, because the test of time and expert analysis will determine the greatest of our time. This list may be altered somewhat in the future as I reconsider it, but it reflects much of what I feel is important and significant in America.

A person can be great, wether he/she is English, American, Japanese, French, Spanish, German, etc. It's not about being a geek or being famous/well known for something. These words are what I call a good person:

Honest

Reliable

Trustworthy

Kind

Caring

Respectful

Open- hearted

Friendly

Considerate

It not about how clever you are or how nice the person looks, its all about the inner person.