Sign in to follow this  
starsinmyeyes

Genealogy

A month ago my friend downloaded the free Morman family tree program for me and since then I have found it to be very addictive. Is there anyone out there who is into this hobby and do you have any tips or sites which you have found useful?

My mother used to be very into geneology. One actual place that is good to go for research (if you are near the D.C. area) is the National Archives. TONS of information there :ph34r:

She also went to a bunch of sites, I don't know them off the top of my head, but I think I can get them from her :rolleyes:

The Program is called PAF (Personal Ancestor File) and it is free to download at this site:

Family Search

The site itself contains some useful tips and information. I would look at the research tips and suggestions for locating records. There are other sites such as ancestry.com but I believe some of them charge a fee.

TIPS:

1. Always back up your data files and keep the disk safe - I've had a sad experience with this.

2. Organize

3. Don't assume relationships that aren't documented.

4. Document your resources

I was't always organized with using research logs but getting and staying organized is the key. I print my sheets on 8x10 pages and keep them in notebooks with tabs for SURNAMES. I have a separate notebook for copies of records etc that I made. I would be interested in what works for others in keeping organized.

It is important to document everything. As I did research I would find instances where others made conclusions based on proximity and it's a real mess - ex: say you have a family with sons named William, John and Joseph. Each of these is very likely to each have sons named William, John and Joseph - it can get very confusing. So keep meticulous records.

I had thought that after our convention next year it would be great to hop up to Salt Lake City and visit the genealogy library there. There are microfilms of just about any record you could imagine. However, there are local family history centers in the meetinghouses of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon). These are open to the public and for a nominal fee you can order a microfilm copy of the records available in the main library. Census records are a good place to start

Start with local libraries and archives (some of these have local census records on microfilm) - these can be a real treasure. I did a lot of research in downtown DC but I found some great county histories in the Fairfax room at the Fairfax Co. library in Fairfax, Virginia just about 20 miles outside the beltway

PS feel free to pm me if you have PAF or research ?'s

The Mormon site is excellent for searches.

Here is a link to address for their branch libraries in Australia: Family History Centres

I have a membership at Ancestry.com and it has been an excellent resource for me. I don't think it has much for records in Australia but if your ancestors have roots in Great Britain, the US or Canada then it would be helpful - it is kinda pricey though. I would be willing to run some names through their database for you though if you want.

I found this while doing some research: unfortunately, it is apparently not available for individual purchase but the local family history center should have a copy available for use.

50095000.jpg

To find family history center

Locate Family History Centers

Also found this; I like this but no US version I could find. I'm trying to make a wall chart for a child's room.

Wall Charts

My uncle is/was really into our family's geneology...and :laugh: what he found was just so amazing. just so cool! I may look at these links as well... thanks!

for starters, I found out that I am distantly related to a friend/teammate of mine..

I know you all are talking about many generations back, but don't forget another thing. You may have living resources that you shouldn't neglect. Older family members won't be around forever, and they may have valuable information which can be verified later through research. They may not think the information is interesting or valuable, but once they are gone, that information dies with them. It might be interesting just to have them write a narrative about relatives they remember visiting as a child, or just some of their experiences growing up. It can also be saved for future generations.

My father recently died, and he left a written account of his experiences during WWII, which he would never discuss while he was alive because it was a horrible experience for him. But it was quite interesting to read through, not only the atrocities of the war, but things like the goat getting drunk on an island in the Solomons, etc.